Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

shocking thermostat

whenever i make a change to my visionpro thermostat, my static electricity disharges into the 'stat. are there any conventional ways to handle this? i don't want the static discharge to fry the electronics inside it. unfortunately, this location has very staticey carpet.--nbc

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,151
    is there any way

you can touch almost anything metal in the house just before (and preferably hold onto while) you touch the thermostat? Almost anything will do -- a light fixture, radiator... it doesn't take much.

I can think of more exotic approaches, but... they aren't that simple.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    yeah,

wear a static discharge wrist strap
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    : )

I thought this thread was going to be about a thermostat advertisement :)

Now really, you need a humidifier.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    static discharge

of course that's what i do now-just thought there might be some more technical way.--nbc
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    wear gloves

or better yet.... tell your wife to adjust it ! lol
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Two options come to mind.

One is a fine ground wire attached to a suitable ground, preferably through a 1/2 meg to 1 megaohm resistor, to suppress the "snap" part of the arc. Bring the wire up along a molding or some such thing so you can touch it with, say, the edge of your hand.

The fool proof alternative:

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    someone's learning HTML!

good idea, i will get a nice brass plate, and ground it through the unused conductor in the cable, and place it behind the thermostat, so i can touch it before the 'stat.

why don't the manufacturers produce more affordable wireless models? running the signal through the house wiring, like the old radio-shack "plug-in" intercom would be an option too!

you did a good job of incorporating the J-PEG file in the posting!--nbc
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    image is low res and

small enough I figured it wouldn't cause anybody any trouble. Besides, the basic sight gag was the first thing that came to mind. Paraphrasing a past U.S. vice president, its a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. ;-)

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

This discussion has been closed.