Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off topic

Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
Ever wonder why the Edmund Fitzgerald went down in Lake Superior? These pics pretty much tell the story. IIRC these were taken in November of 2007 by crew on the freighter pictured, owned by Messener Transportation. Nasty when Superior gets under a gale force+ wind.

Comments

• Scarey stuff Steve,

the Gordon Lightfoot song still shakes me!

Dave
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Wow those bilge pumps must be amazing. wonder the gpm's they do. Dang I guess only a wet head would look at those pics and think that. Does anyone else check out the heating and plumbing systems when they go to a museum with the missus?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • No kidding!

There aren't any lakes like that around here. That's pretty spectacular.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    Mommmmm!!!!

Where is my life vest???????
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    I know what you mean

I get accused of being a "mechanical deviant" whenever I go almost any where. I even find myself commenting on systems seen in movies and TV. My explanation: "I want to know what makes it tick!"
    I had a boiler with a waterline similar to that after someone put a gallon of pinesol in it! Nice smell in the building but almost created an environmental incident. What a BI*** to clean!!!!
  • Drop the temperature below 32...

and add freezing spray to the equation. "Gitchee Gummi" can be horrific, as you can see in the pix. Most folks find it hard to believe that an inland lake can be so brutal. Reminds me of my days on ocean station. The Mariner's Museum in Duluth has a great display on the Fitzgerald wreck, and much other "lake lore". Great place to visit.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Ashland WI

Lost five of our best Great Lakes seamen that day. Joe Mazes' house was three doors down from our house when we lived in Ashland (our home town)

I will never forget that November 10, 1975 storm, it snapped off trees in Asland about four feet above the ground.

My wife has an uncle who was bumped due to seniority from that cycle on the Fitz. He is still sailing the Great Lakes after 38 years. Jean's Grandfather on her mother's side was a Great Lake's sailor for over 40 years.

A tavern in Ashland has many photos similar to those you posted. Thanks for photos it brings back memories. Those guys definitely had sea legs
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,150
    I love Superior

and the north shore...

but as someone said, mighty tall water up there!

Thanks for the pictures!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Winter

This was taken several miles east of Ashland earlier this week. Lake Superior after fifty mile an hour winds. Ice is over 50 feet high.
This discussion has been closed.