Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NO STEAM

that the boiler is not producing enough steam to match the connected piping and radiation.

Comments

• KENNY THE PUMBER
    KENNY THE PUMBER Member Posts: 1
    NO STEAM

WORKING ON A STEAM SYSTEM WHICH THE OLD PLUMBER PIPED HEAT TO A ROOM AND I OPEN THE VALVE TO THE RAIATOR AND NOTHING COMES OUT EVEN WHEN I DICONNCT THE RADIATOR THE REST OF THE HOUSE IS FINE IT COMES OFF A TEE ON THE MAIN AS 1 INCH AND GOES TO THE ROOM BUT NOTHING COMES OUT?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,150
    Something...

should come out, however little it may be (see the post of boiler size!). If something doesn't, the first thing I would check would be pitch on the pipes -- is there a sag or low point where water could collect? Second thing I'd look for (trust me, it's happened) is that there might be another valve somewhere on the pipe to this radiator which is closed.

What happens if you put air to the pipe going back to the boiler? For that matter, assuming that everything is pitched back right, you can even try pouring water down it; it should just drain back like any other condensate...

That's for first thoughts, anyway!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    steam

how about closing the raditor valves on the rest of the houses raditors first ,steam up the boiler and see what happens if you still don;t get any steam at your promblem rad then start pulling that newer main apart maybe there a restriction .In the way past i remenber going to a job that they could not get any gas at the boiler we had pressuue at the meter outlet ,well we started to pull the gas pipe apart and long behold hold a 12 ft piece of 1 1/4 gas pipe who's end was jammed with dirt probalbly from when the pipe was delivered to the job site got struck into the dirt as it was unload off the supply truck.Word to the wise always make sure there's nothing stuck in the pipe hope this helps clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

This discussion has been closed.