Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One-Pipe Steam to Heat Tiled Floor?

k
k Member Posts: 38
Is it feasable to heat a tiled bathroom floor with a one-pipe steam system? I have in mind to run a steam pipe within the length of each floor joist bay under the bathroom. I'd insulate below the pipes between each floor joist. The steam pipes would be headered at the lower end and perhaps individually vented at the end of each run.

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    worked for me.

i did it by accident years ago and it worked unbelievably great. just one branch line though in one bay.
  • k
    k Member Posts: 38
    So Bob,

when you say accidentally, you mean you ran an uninsulated branch pipe between two floor joists, presumably to a radiator which provides air venting for the line? In my case I wouldn't have the radiator. I would have a total of 5 branch pipes for the 5 joist bays running under the tiled floor. One question I have is where best to vent the branches. My initial thought is simply to cap each branch and vent at the capped end, but maybe it is better to header them together and vent the header?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,151
    seems to me

either way would work. I'd be inclined, being lazy, to do whichever was easier... (or cheaper!)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dean_7
    Dean_7 Member Posts: 192
    works fine

The steam pipe feeding the bathroom radiator runs under the floor joist in front of our tub. Heats the tiled floor just fine. However it wasn't planned this way it was accidental.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Steam radiant

I am sure it would work. I have a one pipe system, all supplys are insulated (original asbestos type, which is pretty good I think as far as insulative value) and I can feel the warmth along all of the supply lines with bare feet on my tile and hardwood floor. And it is not just a little...it is quite comfortable and I am lucky enough that one line runs parallel along the counter in front of my kitchen sink.

I even have added resistance due to 1/2" cement board under the tile and a second layer of 3/4" hardwood laid right over the original 3/4" hardwood and 1" roughhewn underlayment.

How you would create your piping pattern to do more than one joist bay...I would leave to the experts, but the heat will be there.
  • Dan C.
    Dan C. Member Posts: 248

What would stop it from making the floor too hot? Like on really cold days when it runs for a long time, you might not be able to walk on it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.