Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil usage?

Options
Nelson_4
Nelson_4 Member Posts: 38
We have 1300 sq. ft. (10,400 cu. ft.?) near Boston, MA. In 2007 we used 1000 gallons, single-pipe steam, oil-fired, with an indirect hot water tank. Norm Harvey replaced the old boiler with a Burnham MegaSteam and for 2008 we used 600 gallons (despite keeping the house a few degrees warmer this winter). My next project is to finally insulate the pipes to see how much that saves. And we are contemplating solar hot water to use even less oil. Also, I want to thank everyone on the Wall, especially Steamhead, Ron Jr., Bob Harper, Nicholas Bonham-Carter, Brad White, and Norm Harvey for all of their advice.

Comments

• losthope
    losthope Member Posts: 10
    Options
    poll oil useage?

whats the square footage of your home? looking for people that use oil for both heat and hot water. how many gallons do you consume in a year?
  • Toddid Goldsmith's
    Options
    oil usage

My house is 960 square feet, but I heat 7,680 cubic feet.I like to figure cubic feet because of different ceilng hieghts. We live in the Catskill Mts. of N.Y. For heat and hot water, we use about 700 gallons of #2 oil a year, with hot water baseboard, and tankless coil. We had steam, but I coverted to hot water, used the same boiler. With steam we used about 1000 gallons a year, sure glad I got rid of the steam, wish I had done it years ago.
  • Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Oil consumption

Southwestern Mass, been much colder than 2007-08, 1,300 sq ft, 700 gallons for single-pipe steam and direct hot water. Recent 24 x 24 addition insulated to modern standards appears to be invisible to the boiler.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options

2100 square foot bungalow. According to the computer we use 637 gallons per year. With the colder temps this year we are keeping the house a little warmer than usual. Our K factor went from about 8.5 to 7.5. We're in Bethel, CT.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,364
    Options
    You lucky folks...

footprint of house is 3,000 square feet; about 7,000 square feet livable (and heated) area in total. House is only partly insulated (long story on that; National Register house, plaster walls, try to balance the cost of oil vs. the cost to insulate -- the oil's cheaper, believe it or not). Oil heat and hot water. Location is on top of a hill, right in the wind, in northwestern Connecticut.

Bottom line? 3,000 gallons per year, more or less.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    That steam system

was probably knuckleheaded. You're talking about a 30% savings- we've recorded similar savings for a bunch of our customers by fixing the steam.

And it costs less to do it that way, too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.