Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler piping problem

2»

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Is the boiler water clean?

Not having an automatic water feed can be a blessing because it will not mask a possible leak, just make sure you check the boiler water level every few days.

You mentioned the returns might not be right, it is important that the returns join together below the water line of the boiler (assuming you have more than one return). If they join above the water line it could well be contributing to the anvil symphony your hearing.

What does the wter in the sight glass look like when the boiler is making steam? It should be clean and should not bounce around more than a 1/4 inch or so. Has this boiler been skimmed to get rid of any impurities in the water caused by working on the pipes?

Post some pictures when you can so we can see what everything looks like.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Anne_6
    Anne_6 Member Posts: 37
    Boiler water clean....I think....it is clear

BobC,  water is clean and it was skimmed when the guys were finished a few years ago, nary a bounce when the boilers boiling. I clean it out once a week or so. When it's heating, you can see the water go down but it doesn't bounce much at all, same when it returns.

They had to return and skim it because it wouldn't even work-water wouldn't stay down when the boiler was on. They used a conditioner or something to help keep the boiler in shape and the oils prevented the water from staying down in the tank. After that it worked fine, there was a little hammer, but not bad.

Maybe it just needs another good skimming? That would be fantastic news! Could that possibly be my trouble? O yaaay if it is!

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/LadyLeopard1/

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Anne_6
    edited November 2012
    Boiler not as noisy............

Hey Bob, I did clean it out some, still noisy but not nearly as bad as it was. I let the water get as high as I dared and drained it a few times. Now, there is a bit of oily residual on the top, and the water in the site glass bounces like crazy when the boiler is on. Probably need to wait for a warmer day to clean it really good. Can you believe someone walked off with my skimmer, so I cannot skim from the top--going to have to drain it all the way and fill it quickly several times, hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Thanks for your response. :) Have a great weekend!

Don't know if you got to see the pics I posted in the post above.

• Anne_6
    Pics

Few more photos of the IN4 re-install. Looks alright to me, except for the return. Works good, keeps me warm and bills are lower.

• Anne_6
    IN4

Another Photo.

This discussion has been closed.