Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing radiators, too much pressure?

Jamie Hall
Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,154
won't be a problem. That's controlled by the pressure controller on the boiler. What may be a problem is that the boiler will be wildly oversized for the remaining radiators, and will cycle on pressure more often than you would like -- and may lose efficiency. But there shouldn't be any danger as such.
Br. Jamie, osb
Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England

Comments

• Marc Douglas
    Marc Douglas Member Posts: 1
    Removing radiators/too much pressure?

Hello,

I have a 115 year old house with 16, 1 pipe radiators (steam). We are planning extensive renovation and a new addition and while we do so, I am wondering if I can disconnect about 10 of them and cap the pipe and still have heat in the remaining 6. Will there be too much pressure? Is having a boiler sized for 16 units, too dangerous to operate with only 6 connected? Any precautions I should take?

Thank you for any advise you could give me

Marc
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    disconnect & run system

ONLY problem is valves may not hold tight & you cannot cap them because valve has union machine thread. remedy : remove old valve & install new ones. if by chance they do hold tight , you luck out. system can be run safely with no problem
This discussion has been closed.