Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Figuring out EDR-Pipe Radiators and \"Hidden\" Ones

Jim_64
Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
I'm bidding a job and I think i know the answer, but i wanted to ask here to make sure...
They have a few radiators made from black iron pipe... a horizontal manifold on the high end and a vertical manifold on the low end.

Do I just Add up the total linear feet of piping plus the manifolds?

Also, they have a sort of primitive convector setup at one end of the building... 46" grille with a damper at the top, 72 inches off the floor, and a 36" opening at the floor.

There is no way to see the actual rad/convector without opening the wall. Any way of "Guesstimating" what I'm working with?

Thanks!

Mike

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,154
    surface area

Mike, you need the surface area of the pipes -- easy enough to figure, though. Measure the circumference of the pipe (or multiply the actual diameter times 3 -- not exact, but close enough) and convert to feet, and then multiply that by the total length of pipes, in feet. Result won't be right spot on, but plenty close enough.

That convector thingy sounds like the convectors we used to have in schools in Vermont. I don't recall exactly what was inside them, but there was a lot of available radiation in there. I'm guessing -- but I'd say an EDR of at least 100, and maybe as much as 200.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Wow! Thoes are exactly what i'm working with!

Thanks guys!

This discussion has been closed.