Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old air vents-cleaning

I have alot of vents since I change them to balance the system with Gorton 4-D, 50 radiators. It is worth it at 20$ a pop to have extras that might work again.

Comments

• mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155

I have a bunch of old air vents that Dont close, I guess calcified up. Does anyone try rejuvinating them by soaking in maybe Vinegar. I think strong products like Lime Away-CLR would be to strong and eat the metal.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,154
    I was hoping

someone more knowledgeable than I would chime in, but... I have used vinegar (the cheaper the better! -- don't use the good stuff!) to do this kind of thing, and it does work -- but you have to be patient. Takes time. And brush away (soft brush) everything you can from time to time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bill_71
    bill_71 Member Posts: 46

it may work but is it worth the time and trouble? of course there is the possibly of it happening again in the near future due to not being "completely" decalcified?? buy new vents....i assume we are talking steam vents?
  • bill_71
    bill_71 Member Posts: 46

50 vents....that is a significant number but i am not you. still gotta ask yourself the same question but my original post was referencing the "norm". that is around 8-15 radiators....50 is obviously a bit more then that
This discussion has been closed.