Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burner firing rate

Jack_49
Jack_49 Member Posts: 3
assuming my one pipe steam system is working correctly at what firing rate should I be. I was told once that you ideally want your burner to run constantly just a hair off from your cutout. currently it takes about 4 minutes of runtime to reach cutout and 3 minutes before cutin when the burner reignites. I have many options one is to downfire it so it takes 6 minutes for cutout and the same 3 minutes for cutin. or should i upfire it so it runs less. Any help in this matter would be great. also, I am currently running at 1.5 psi cutout and .5 psi cutin. thanks,
-Jack

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,154
    I'm no burner guru

but... if it's only taking 4 minutes for your boiler to reach 1.5 psi, my first reaction is that you need more venting. A lot more. Either that, or the boiler is way oversize for the system.

That said, keep in mind that there are minimum firing rates which must be met for any given size boiler (I'm assuming oil fired). Any such changes should be done by a knowledgeable burner technician -- perhaps you are one -- with the right tools and instruments to properly adjust the whole combustion system.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.