Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it ok to completely shut off radiator valves in empty rooms?

Leslie_3
Leslie_3 Member Posts: 1
Is it ok to completely shut off the valves to radiators in the rooms we aren't using? I feel like I'm creating water hammer in the supply lines to these rooms. I'm wanting to save some $$. Our Dec. bill was $850.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,154
    Depends

a little on whether it's one pipe or two pipe steam. In one pipe, you have to be sure that the valve really truly does shut off the radiator. Otherwise, some steam will get by, condense, and you will get water hammer. Generally I'd prefer to close the vents on those radiators as a way of keeping steam out of them. Two pipe, it's generally OK, in my opinion, with one real caution: if the valve doesn't shut off all the way, the radiator will still get a little steam (and many valves don't -- they get tired). If the room drops below freezing, the small amount of steam isn't enough to keep things warm, and the condensate may freeze in the radiator or trap -- which will definetly keep steam out, but may damage the trap.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Closing Vent

How do you close the vent? If it is a hoffman, I know you can turn it upside down, and that will close the vent and keep steam out. Doesn't work with Gorton.

Is there some kind of plug that you could screw in? Like a nipple, but solid?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Then remove the vent.......

..... and replace with a 1/8" pipe plug.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Saving Money.

Closing a couple of radiator valves might not have a big impact on your fuel cost. It might cause more issues.

Have you looked at the system? Is the near boiler piping done properly? What system pressure are you running? Are your main vents working properly? What is the cycle rate/anticipator set to on your thermostat? Are your mains insulated?

These items will have the bigest impact on savings.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    tape

put a piece of scotch tape over vent hole = no heat. leave valve open = no problems
This discussion has been closed.