Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This goes to show how uncomfortable folks are in their homes.

Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
The first house I built back in 87 was as Scott described Only my horizontal nailers were on the interior of the walls.

That type of construction is really not what I would call "super insulated" now days. But its better then standard practices.

The kicker to all of it was when I went to sell it. Potential buyers could have cared less if it were 8" walls or 2" all they cared about was the eye candy.

The future, may be not to distant will be trying to get these crap dwellings that have been built this last boom, up to reasonable affordability to condition the spaces they encompass. This could pose a market for insulation, and a better window.....way better. Short of tearing them down, and starting over.... Or the family pack of snuggies

I have to wonder how some of these new homes will fair in 50 to over 100 year old ranges if they are still standing.

Gordy

Comments

• Peter S
    Peter S Member Posts: 4

Is that Joe Biden?
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    I still remember

Jimmy Carter's address to the nation, wearing a sweater, telling us to turn down our t-stats!
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Ultimate sollution.

This appears to be the ultimate solution for the vast majority who have to take out a massive loan and eat rice and beans for 30 years to buy a poorly constructed 2 x 4 shack with badly installed insulation and cheap windows. Nice. Not that I am complaining or anything. Ha. It could be so much better.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Oh that's funny

To warm up fast in my house we sit on the floor. Ahhhhhhh! I like the part where college students take a swig every time a Snuggies ad comes on the tube.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Get with the times, man

That's a minimally constructed house with 2x6's on 24" to 30" centers, poor roof structure design, cheap shingles, likely in or very near a flood plain or other geologically unsuitable area, faux quality interior (it looks good - but has no durability or emits chemical vapors), bouncy floors, and lots of other minimal quality/durability items.

You are correct about the badly installed insulation - also badly installed vapor barriers and ventilation with lots of mold problems(and that's another story).

If it looks good it must be good....

PS, want to buy some gold pipe for that look of oppulance... Its all solid metal too.... I'm selling it cheap per pound....

Perry
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    I was thinking

pvc with the Krylon gold touch!

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611

Perry,

My house is framed 24'' o.c. It also has exterior let in bracing on 4' o.c and 2x2 (horizontal) nailers on the interior, the walls 8''thick.

Framing on 24'' centers can be a deliberate and effective energy conservation detail. If done right it can save resources (wood) and provide better thermal performance.
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    right on ! scott

As I was reading Perry's response I was thinking what's the matter with 24" o.c. framing. If I were building a house today I would go that way. 1) save a few trees. 2) Better thermal performance by allowing more insulation.3) very stable if using spray foam insulation and 5/8" rock.
    I would also align the windows to fit in between the framing when possible, cutting down on unnecessary headers and jack studs. Elimnate interior headers on doors in non bearing walls. And nailers in corners, instead use clips where the corners meet allowing better insulation detail in the corner and the wall to move.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Scott & Singh

I have nothing against 24" on center 2x6's.

But both of you would do more than that...

The key is "If done right"

Now I have only seen a few houses under construction up close in the last couple of years. And I've only helped a few friends with repairing their "modern" 24" Center houses.

I have yet to see one constructed the way you mention. I have to ask; are those the normal practices you see in your area?

Scot's 8" thick walls are a great idea. But it took more wood and attention to a lot of details to do it right.

Cheap construction cannot be compared to quality construction; even if they use the same basic materials.

Perry
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    my dad

was an architect and about 20 years ago designed a six unit condo arrangement with close attention to common space layout, greenspace and landscape. Everything was solid masonry with foam core insulation, thermal break between interior block and brick veneer, real fireplaces built by a fireplace mason, mud job bath and kitchen, quality fixture, masonry divisions between units all the way above the roof line, interior balcony walkways, skylights, low e wood windows, woodwork done by an old world carpenter (who they needed since the general's carpenter refused to do anything that required mitering of mouldings), etc. You get the idea. The places are still modern, efficient, with understated grace and detail. They figured they could sell something like this in a mid to upper middle class area.

They wound up losing their shirts on the project because the sale price $ per square foot comps sprouting everywhere down the street were cheaper. Toothpicks, thumbtacks, vinyl, and drywall firebreaks. Ultra cheap materials everywhere. No masonry in sight even when they were going up. Congested common spaces and layout. And they weren't that much cheaper.

People looked at numbers of square feet, numbers of baths, and were apparently impervious to recognizing materials of lasting quality, good insulation, and the safety and soundproofing that came with the masonry construction.

H.L. Mencken once said something like, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the public." This problem goes beyond taste, to recognizing non-subjective things like insulation, durability and life expectancy. So build a place for yourself the way it should be done and reap the rewards of doing so, but don't expect the general public to look any deeper than the eye candy.

"Oh, LOOK! Something shiny!"

-Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Lol, So true

But the average person lives in a house for five years. They have no long term thinking. Thats why the codes need to change. I see them putting up MURBS with 2 x 4 stick walls. Why that is allowed at all anymore is beyond me.
  • Yup,

the average homebuyer has no idea about construction quality. I know at least one builder in the area who is still doing 2x4 construction, building them in high priced areas and is (was) making a killing. Sad but true.
This discussion has been closed.