Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator sounds like a coffee maker

LOL...Brad, You're BAD!.. :) Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

Comments

• Jon K
    Jon K Member Posts: 1
    Radiator sounds like a coffee maker

I have an old steam system (boiler replaced 2 years ago). In addition to fairly constant water hammer throughout the system, there are a couple of radiators that gurgle and bang when the boiler fires up in the am. The gurgling can be hard throughout the vertical pipe leading up into the radiator. Any ideas what can be done to fix this? Unfortunately, the radiator in question is in my bedroom making matters worse.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    gurgling radiators

this noisy nuisance can be caused by, high pressure, improper piping, dirty water, or a lack of insulation on the pipes. why not post some pictures of the near-boiler piping here so we can see what the boiler looks like. look for the instalation manual that came with your boiler [or find it online]. there should be specific instructions for the piping, which must be followed without deviation as far as pipe size, height above waterline, etc.

just so you can be better informed, get a copy of "the lost art of steam heating" here. it will explain in greater detail where these noises come from--nbc
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,156
    and another two cents worth...

you don't mention whether this is one pipe or two pipe steam; the possibilities are somewhat different. In two pipe, if the gurgling occurs only at startup, the most likely villain is condensation occurring in the feed riser while it is warming up (this can also cause water hammer in that one radiator at the same time). There are two things to look at: one, make sure the riser pitches back to the steam main. Second, if possible insulate the entire riser. Both will help, if not entirely cure the problem.

More general water hammer in the system is a different problem, really. There are many possible causes, but identifying when in a cycle it happens is an important first step.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Of course

if the red light near the bottom comes on, it may not be a radiator.

I take my with cream, one Splenda. Thanks :)
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155

If one pipe system maybe you need more of an angle to drain radiators back.
This discussion has been closed.