Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad vibrating sound though fresh water system orginating from47

Options
I had a customer complaining of a loud vibrating noise coming from her steam boiler. I found the source of noise was originating from Mc Donnell M/N: 47-2 Feeder/LWCO. This info was also on it: 20528/ 2 switch/ 115VAC. If when it's vibrating the (fresh water plumbing system), a person turns the blowoff valve (of the low watercut off) and lets water out a couple seconds the noise immediately stops for a few hours. If a person continues to hold the blowoff valve open a little longer so more water is drained,one can hear a good flow of water coming in automatically to the boiler with no vibrtation noise. To avoid the noise, I turned off the isolating valves to 47-2 Feeder/LWCO. The homeowner agreed to manually feed fresh water in, as needed, until we come up with a solution to the problem (for the system also has a fesh water manual bypass valve). What is your advise? Thank you.

Comments

• vibratring freshwater plumbing sytem orginating from McDonnell4

I had a customer complaining of a loud vibrating noise coming from her steam boiler. I found the source of noise was originating from Mc Donnell M/N: 47-2 Feeder/LWCO. This info was also on it: 20528/ 2 switch/ 115VAC. If when it's vibrating the (fresh water plumbing system), a person turns the blowoff valve (of the low watercut off) and lets water out a couple seconds the noise immediately stops for a few hours. If a person continues to hold the blowoff valve open a little longer so more water is drained,one can hear a good flow of water coming in automatically to the boiler with no vibrtation noise. To avoid the noise, I turned off the isolating valves to 47-2 Feeder/LWCO. The homeowner agreed to manually feed fresh water in, as needed, until we come up with a solution to the problem (for the system also has a fesh water manual bypass valve). What is your advise? Thank you.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If the incoming water pressure

to the 47-2 is too high, it can cause vibration. The cure is an inexpensive brass PRV in the line feeding the 47-2.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.