Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wiring 2 thermostats

Options
ozzie_2
ozzie_2 Member Posts: 7
what would be the proper way to wire 2 three wire thermostats to operate a furnace from 2 locations in a house. thank you.

Comments

• lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

A furnace or a boiler. Boiler for water, or steam and furnace for hot air?
  • ozzie_2
    Options

its for a boiler,
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

1 zone or two?
  • ozzie_2
    Options

one zone only.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,399
    Options
    wire them

in parallel. That is, connect each one back to the boiler's controller as though it were the only one on the system. That way, either one can turn the boiler on.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ozzie_2
    Options

thanks, would the same principle apply for a furnace?
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Two stats-one system?

Rather a goofy question and the only rational way to do this would be to wire an A-B switch so you could choose the stat you wanted to control the system at a given point in time. If you want to average temperatures between two areas you need to look at Tekmar ot others with averaging capabilities.

A thermostat is basically a switch and switching the closet lite on from the basement might seem like a good idea but....
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,399
    Options
    Yep.

That is, I'm assuming that you want either thermostat to call for heat when it's cold...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    what is the goal?

If the goal is to have the 2nd on control the heat in a specific room or area of the house it will not work without zoning. If you want which ever is in a colder area to turn on the boiler then wire in parallel but if you want the one in the warmer area to control the boiler then wire in series.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Wireless Honeywell

Has a remote control that can reset the main thermostat anywhere in the building. I have one in and they like it alot.
  • Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
    Options
    Totaline

Totaline has a thermostat that you can take from room to room and use it. It is like a cordless phone, has a base receiver and a handset. The handset is the actual switch and can be used in any room.

• Here's a site which has different types of remote thermostats

http://www.rfwel.com/shop/product.php?productid=454&cat=0&page=1&gclid=CKTbycWz15cCFRxNagodd0_IDQ

I haven't used one myself so can't recommend any. You might want to follow up on each manufacturer and read the literature especially the I&O manual.
This discussion has been closed.