Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help

LC
LC Member Posts: 4
My one pipe steam system is heating all of the radiators all the way across and continuing to run causing system pressure to get to two pounds. This seems to be where it stays for a few minutes while the thermostat gets to the proper temperature.
I recently had a plumber install main vents and replace the old steam traps. All of these work well as they should, it just seems the radiators are heating up too fast. Not certain what to do next and is it dangerous for the system to be at that pressure?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,156
    Not sure

I've run into a complaint that the radiators are heating up too fast before! Usually it's the other way around. Be happy!

On the pressure, 2 pounds isn't dangerous, but it's higher than one would want it to be. Does the boiler shut off at the 2 pounds? Or does it keep running and hold at 2 pounds? Please clarify. If it shuts off at 2 pounds, then you could try lowering the pressuretrol setting a bit. On the other hand, if it doesn't shut off, it suggests there may be another problem -- like a clogged pigtail or stuck swith -- which could become a serious problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    high pressure

crank your pressure down below 16 ounces [12 is even better]. low pressure plus good main line venting is the secret to economical operation. you may need a vaporstat and a good low pressure gauge [gaugestore.com 0-3 psi.]
    i presume that when you say "traps" you must mean main vents. all of these vents, either main or radiator function much better at low pressures. the surface temperature will be less uncomfortably high at low pressures, even though amazingly the steam may arrive more quickly at under 16 oz.

you would benefit from having a good steam book, available here.--nbc
  • LC
    LC Member Posts: 4

Thanks for the advice. The boiler does not shutoff at 2 pounds. I will look at the pressure switch. The traps are steam traps where the condensate goes to the wet leg. Any other advice?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Pigtail

Your pressuretrol should be attached to your boiler via a "pigtail". Your pigtail may be clogged. It should be cleaned out and/or changed to one made of brass.

Could you post pictures of your radiators?

Where are you located?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.