Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus G125 vd EK 2000

2»

Comments

• steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

Carl your info on the pump pressures is wrong, the pump pressures range from 189-334 psi
    21= 189-290
    28= 218-334
    34= 218-334

for your safety you need a gauge that can handle 1.5x the working pressure.

Sounds like you've chosen the G125, please stop by once in a while and let us know how it's working out for you.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,399
    I have seen many EKs in operations

worked on one or two and did an install when I worked for someone else many moons ago. NEVER heard a bad thing about them. Some people JUST don't "get it" never will. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayne Heid_2
    Wayne Heid_2 Member Posts: 22
    Selection Made

All,

Thank you for your constructive comments, suggestions, side notes, comments and opinions stated here. I have learned a lot and appreciate all the assistance from almost every post.

After a few rounds with several suppliers I did select the G125BE with the ST160 horizontal DHW (due to space issues), valved Grundfos circs, taco zone controller. I was leaning towards the 115 but by the time you add up the pieces it was close to the G125 (within $800) and while the G125 is new I beleive the long term benefits will pay off.

The S2000 while a good system came in about $500 less I felt the best long term (cast vs iron) decision was the Buderus.

The selection of a installer was easy at the end of the day - it was the person that was knowledgable and addressed all the questions in detail, verififed the heat loss, was interested in our business, and finally worked with us to configure the system with the components (like flanged valves etc) and steered us away from pitfalls. The other key aspect was inclusion of a three year coverage on all services and components - warranty and cleanings, though I expect the cleaning to be nominal.

Installation is next week Feb 23 and I will write back with post installation comments and feedback.

Carl

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,799
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Evil lution
    Evil lution Member Posts: 14
    BFU Sensor

Hi Gary,

No we are not planning on doing the BFU room sensor - is this something that we should do? I have read the manual and if I understand this correctly the BFU "looks" at the room temp and the outside temp then adjusts boiler temp accordingly.

If you can give me some rationale and reason why we need the BFU is is most appreciated.

Carl

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,799

It simply makes a 'constant circulation' zone. You're right, it's seeing the room temp and adjusts accordingly. You normally would use this one your most 'used' zone. The boiler is going to maintain heat, so why not send that heat out to the system?

Some heating guys are baffled by these sensors...don't know why they're incredibly simple.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31

I know the choice has already been made, I think either would have been a great choice. The Ultimate you are replacing pro-actively sounds like it should have gotten consideration too, please let us all know how much oil you save. I wonder if an Ultimate with an indirect and a Tekmar would be in the same ball park, for about 60% of the cost?
  • Wayne Heid_2
    Replacement Update

RE: Peckam - Keeping the Ulitmate (29 Yr Old) boiler would have meant all new piping to install the indirect and I would have replaced the Beckett too as it need a new tube, pump etc so at the end of the day may have saved $3k.

RE: Installation Update: Installed Tues Feb 24 - nice and warm, quiet, very even heat. Amazed at the Logimatic the way it modulates the water temp and the blue flame is very nice technology. The LT160 with the GB125 stacked arrangement is nice looking and compact. Nearly endless hot water now - it looses 8 deg overnight or about a deg per hour which is more than buderus specs indicated but not a big deal. The grundfos 3 spd circs are very quiet and work well on the low setting - we have 3 50' zones in hte house. Run time now at 24 hrs in 5 days - need to tweak the logimatic a bit more, have it set on "single" mode as we are not around weekdays and need to reset some of the times.

Overall very pleased with the selection and operation. Will keep in touch here as this goes and monitoring teh oil consumption and keep updating on the performance.

Thanks again for the tips and advice.

Carl
  • Wayne Heid_2
    Post Purge Configuration - Logimatic

All,

The Logimatic indicates a "3 minute post puge" is possible with the standard 2107 control, but nothing is mentioned in the manual or operation instructions.

Can anyone shed some light on how this is configured?

Thanks

• Mel_6
    Mel_6 Member Posts: 43
    Speaking from experience

I would recommend Buderus. I have the System 2000 EK1 Frontier model and not at all happy with the system. First thing people should know is the "Premier Dealers" recommended by EK have nothing to do with quality installations, they have to do with sales. When I complained about the crappy installation I got from one of their Premier Dealers who contracted out the installation to another company, EK just turned away unconcerned and still recommend that Premier Dealer.

OK, so now I know EK lacks integrity and cares more about making a buck. What about the EK representative who came to my house a few times trying to solve my "air problem"? Well, he was very polite and seemed quite knowledgeable but failed to notice my main circulator pump was installed wrong!

Someone above said EK system is easy to install--nonsense!

The EK system must be installed with the base perfectly level. Sound easy? Of course, but not always done. The dynamic Air vent is supposed to rid the system of air and gurgles. Really? Not in my case. What does EK say? The problem is site specific, meaning, the problem is mine and not theirs. But, they cannot prove anything is wrong on my end.

The Premier Dealer out here who has cerified NATE technicians installs every System 2000 with a Spirovent. Why? I mean, if that dynamic air vent works so well, why would they install a Spirovent on every System 2000? Because they want to prevent an air problem and obviously don't believe the hype about that dynamic air vent.

My only reason for posting is that someone else may discover this thread while trying to make a choice between EK and Buderus. If they read my post and still want the EK, good luck to them!

In very cold weather the System 2000 does not heat up like my old Weil McLain. As for that purging business, not really a big deal in cold weather. Plus, I think it makes the baseboards noisier than my old system did.

My oil company sells both EK and Buderus and recommended Buderus. I didn't buy from them, but I should have listened to them.

One last thing about EK, there was a website where owners of EK posted their problems and dealers among others offered to help. The thread was taken down. I contacted the website and asked why the thread was taken down, and I was told EK made them take it down. I could go on but this is a long post and you can buy whatever you want. I have said my piece and the rest is up to you.
  • Mel_6
    Speaking from experience

I would recommend Buderus. I have the System 2000 EK1 Frontier model

and not at all happy with the system. First thing people should know is

the "Premier Dealers" recommended by EK have nothing to do with quality

installations, they have to do with sales. When I complained about the

crappy installation I got from one of their Premier Dealers who

contracted out the installation to another company, EK just turned away

unconcerned and still recommend that Premier Dealer.

OK, so now I know EK lacks integrity and cares more about making a

buck. What about the EK representative who came to my house a few times

trying to solve my "air problem"? Well, he was very polite and seemed

quite knowledgeable but failed to notice my main circulator pump was

installed wrong!

Someone above said EK system is easy to install--nonsense!

The EK system must be installed with the base perfectly level. Sound

easy? Of course, but not always done. The dynamic Air vent is supposed

to rid the system of air and gurgles. Really? Not in my case. What does

EK say? The problem is site specific, meaning, the problem is mine and

not theirs. But, they cannot prove anything is wrong on my end.

The Premier Dealer out here who has cerified NATE technicians installs

every System 2000 with a Spirovent. Why? I mean, if that dynamic air

vent works so well, why would they install a Spirovent on every System

2000? Because they want to prevent an air problem and obviously don't

believe the hype about that dynamic air vent.

My only reason for posting is that someone else may discover this

thread while trying to make a choice between EK and Buderus. If they

read my post and still want the EK, good luck to them!

In very cold weather the System 2000 does not heat up like my old Weil

McLain. As for that purging business, not really a big deal in cold

weather. Plus, I think it makes the baseboards noisier than my old

system did.

My oil company sells both EK and Buderus and recommended Buderus. I didn't buy from them, but I should have listened to them.

One last thing about EK, there was a website where owners of EK posted

their problems and dealers among others offered to help. The thread was

taken down. I contacted the website and asked why the thread was taken

down, and I was told EK made them take it down. I could go on but this

is a long post and you can buy whatever you want. I have said my piece

and the rest is up to you.
  • carl_nh
    carl_nh Member Posts: 27
    Buderus G125 BE Update Nearly 2 Yrs Later

Well, thought to give a short update on the Buderus G125BE selection and overall performance.

Installation Feb 2009 G125BE 21 (smallest unit) w/LT160 Horz Tank, 3 Grundfos Circ Zones, Taco Zone Control, 1 Grundfos HW loop, Ultra Filter

Feb 2009 to Feb 2010 used 450 Gal Oil - vs 890 and 900 gal two previous seasons

Tracking usage it is burning .64 GPH

Nov. 2010 Total Hrs 1050 Still Burning Blue Flame Changed Ultra Filter one Time

Vacuum/Cleaned Unit 3-4 times over last 2 yrs - still working fine

Most Recent Readings: C75 Comb Analyzer - Original Nozzle and Settings of Air @ 4.5 and Pump Pressure @ 280PSI

Outside Air Temp 48*

Boiler Temp 140

O2%  3.2

CO2   13.3

CO PPM 37

COaf   43

Flue  temp 265

Efficiency 89.6

Loss 10.4

Excess Air 18.0

The boiler tech and I took readings over 90% Eff @ 125* and lowest was 89.2 Eff at 165*. Also CO2 was in Buderus spec range at 13.3 in all cases.

What was interesting is these # are better than when brand new! We decided not to change anything at this time.

What are you guys seeing with these units as far as perfomance?

Are we in good shape with these specs after over 1000 hrs operation?

Thanks
  • Mel_6
    You made the right choice

You made the right choice, and now don't look back. You are much better off with the Buderus. I suggested the Buderus in this thread and I have the EK System 2000.

Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.