Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

is my pressuretrol connected wrong?

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
fine.Leave it alone.
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• jOhn_225
    jOhn_225 Member Posts: 13
    is my pressuretrol connected wrong?

This may sound real dumb, but i will ask anyway.

i have a honeywell pressuretrol (L404F1367) connected to my Burnham IN5 gas fired boiler.

The pressuretrol has 2 screw terminals. Top one is indicated "R" and bottom one is indicated "B".
    Im guessing this means RED and BLACK. But my installer connected the Red wire to the Black terminal and Black wire to the Red screw terminal.
    Will this cause my pressuretrol to not operate?
    Am i safe to change it?
    lastly, what if it is connected right and i change it, will i damage the pressuretrol?

Thanks
  • jOhn_225

really? what is the purpose of the labeling?
    sorry to beat a dead horse, i just want to know why the labeling and wiring dont match.
    my unit is not shutting down at the limit.
    The pressure goes at least 2.5psi higher than the pressuretrol setting before the unit shuts off.
    This is causing my vents to spit...

Could the wiring be wrong or is it a bad pressuretrol?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,156
    well...

the pressuretrol is really just an on/off switch -- two wires -- and it doesn't matter a bit whether red goes to 'R' and black to 'B' or vice versa -- although it would have been nice to have it done right way 'round. Don't worry about it.

There are two reasons why a pressuretrol wouldn't shut off the boiler at the set high limit. Well, more than two. First, the pressuretrol might be bad. Unlikely, but possible. Second, and quite likely, the pigtail connecting the pressuretrol to the boiler might be clogged or partly clogged. Best solved by replacing the pigtail (brass is best there). Third, the pressure gauge you are using might not read reliably at the low pressures...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jOhn_225

Thanks. What should i do?
    I know the system is running on high pressure due to spitting vents...
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Check the pigtail.

You'll need to remove the pressuretrol to do so, then you can put the wires back the way you like.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    because...

The labeling would only matter for the SPDT models, there R is the common terminal: R-B breaks while R-W makes on pressure rise. If you have an L404F it's a SPDT version: for burner control nothing should be connected to W. An L404A would have only 2 terminals.

The SPST versions only have two terminals, either R&B (boiler burner control) or R&W (say for a steam fan-coil fan control, etc.) so it doesn't matter which wire's connected to which terminal.

Same think with a heat only thermostat, where the two (make on temp fall) terminals are R & W. Wire color doesn't matter (though 2 wire t-stat cables are red & white) nor does what color's atached to which terminal.

If pressure's too high, pigtail may be plugged, P-trol may be set too high or P-trol may not adjust low enough (in spite of pressure values printed on the scale, in which case you might desire to replace it w/ a Vaporstat
This discussion has been closed.