Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Setback Recommendation

Jeff_133
Jeff_133 Member Posts: 36
I read a recent post that suggested to keep setback differential to a minimum during the very cold days (like today and all this week!). I have one-pipe steam with a 225K btu Dunkirk boiler. I just installed a new digital thermostat, and I am wondering about it's effectiveness in controlling fuel costs. I'll assume this issue has been discussed at length, so without delving into all the technicalities & calculations, when dealing with a one-pipe steam system, does it make general sense to vary the temp through the day, according to use (when the people are home), or does it makes sense to keep it fairly constant, or something in-between? To keep it simple, assume that my system is operating evenly and efficiently (which, of course, it isn't, but I just want to limit the discussion to the t-stat variable).
I am presently using the following programming:
Morning:70
Afternoon:65
Evening:70
Night:65
Would a simplified 2-period Day/Night program be better, or just a constant temp a;; day and night?

I know these temps might sound high, but it's an old drafty place, and 70 feels like 65 and 65 feels like 60.

Input appreciated and welcome!

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments

• Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    Setback

During very cold spells, especially in older houses, freezing pipes becomes an issue. Indeed, government agencies suggest that an older home not use setbacks during cold spells.

That said, multiple setbacks in one day may not yield savings. Rather, set the thermostat during the day to the lowest comfortable setting (dress accordingly) and try a 2 to 4 degree setback at night, but not during very cold spells.

By the way, minimizing drafts in your home is money well spent, and the savings far exceed any setback considerations.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,156
    agreed

I would definetly use only two steps; I use 60 and 65 in my place (which is huge, old, but not all that draughty, thanks to a lot of work) -- but that is only after a lot of experimenting to see how much the boiler actually runs to recover vs. to hold. That is the maximum; I reduce the setback (drop to 62 instead of 60) when it's really cold out...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jeff_133
    Jeff_133 Member Posts: 36
    2 steps then

looks like the best solution? This makes sense to me: a Day/Night scenario versus multiple cycles throughout the day.

Thanks for the input.
This discussion has been closed.