Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure in boiler

Options
alang
alang Member Posts: 35
did you tee the gauge on teh same pigtail? or did you just out right swapped out the gauge that came with the boiler>?

Comments

• alang
    Options
    Pressure in boiler

Hi all.
    I suspect my pressure guage is not reading the pressure in my boiler property as the system does not cut off at required limit setting. Subtractive pressuretrol with setting at 1.5 main and .75 differential.
    The guage is registering 5psi before the system cuts out.

Does anyone have a pic where the guage and pressuretrol is mounted on same pigtail. I believe this will give me a good idea of psi readings on the pressuretrol.

if no pic, can you shed some light at to how i can connect this?

Thanks!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    There's no problem

hooking up a low pressure pressure gauge on the same pigtail as the pressuretrol -- put a T at the top of the pigtail, go off one way and elbow up to the pressuretrol, go off the other and elbow up to the low pressure pressure gauge.

Might put a new pigtail on while you're at it (brass) -- pigtails do clog and then do funny things.

Remember to keep the high pressure (probably 30 psi) gauge hooked up too -- that's required by code (twice the relief valve setting).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • alang
    Options

Thanks Jamie!

any recommendations for low pressure gauges?

lastly, is it normal for the high pressure guage to be so off from actual pressure?
    This is a 1 pipe burnham IN5. Guage is set up to the side of the pigtail/pressuretrol set up.
  • tk_3
    tk_3 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Is this a mercury bulb control or a snap switch control?
  • alang
    Options

Snap.
    Its Honeywell L404F1367 type pressuretrol. no mercury bulb.

is this the one NBC always talk about?

http://gaugestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=33020
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    not sure

if that's the gauge Nick's on about, but it should do the job nicely. And yes, it is quite possible for the high pressure gauge to be squirrely at low pressures. It's also possible for the pressuretrol to be squirrely at low settings. All of which is why the low pressure gauge is nice to have!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
    Options

I was experiencing the same problem with the pressure gauge in my Burnham IN6, it was showing 4-5psi on the gauge before the system shut down and got worse as time went on. The gauge was even very slow to come back down after the boiler shut off even through there was no pressure in the boiler. I noticed that as the temperature raised so did the gauge so I replace with a new gauge and everything works great. Burnham must not be using very good gauges on their boiler, just good enough to pass code.

• The original 0-30 PSI gauge must remain. It's code and keeps your insurance company happy.

To add an additional low pressure gauge, just use a tee, a short nipple(s) and an elbow(s). Mount on the pigtail as that will protect the gauge.
  • Jeff_133
    Jeff_133 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    30 PSI Gauge

Is this code requirement fairly common? I am in NY. I had been wondering why I had one. Excellent suggestion on how to add a lower range gauge! Thanks!

• It's necessary enough that the manufacturers include a 0-30 PSI gauge with each boiler.

I don't know for sure but I suspect it is an ASME requirement.(American Society Of Mechanical Engineers) The ASME set the standards (codes) for boiler and pressure vessels.

Cities and insurance companies follow along saying that it must be to ASME standards. As for NY I don't know since I'm not from that region though I would think that the 0-30 PSI would be necessary as from what I've heard NY is pretty strict on codes.
  • Therold Jules
    Therold Jules Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Radiators

4 apartment building sharing one steam oil boiler. Every radiator works fine except 3 in apartments 1 and 3. The furthermost bedroom on apartment 1 is not working to full capacity and the equivalent bedroom on the third does not recieve steam at all. While apartment 1 kitchen is working full blast, it's equivalent kitchen on the third floor does not recieve any steam. I have disconnect the radiators and drained any accumulated water but even with the radiator off there is no steam coming out. Any idea what I have to do ? Thanks.
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    new thread needed

therold,you should put this on a new thread, so as not to get lost--nbc
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    gauge and vaporstat on same pigtail

here is the only picture i could find. this layout may need revising for your situation. i just needed several pressure "points", so i doubled up the setup--nbc

http://forums.invision.net/Attachment.cfm?peerlesspiggies.JPG&CFApp=2&Attachment_ID=36389
  • Here's a pic

of the pigtail on an IN-5 .But the easiest thing to do is remove the pressure gauge and install a pigtail right there to protect a new gauge .
This discussion has been closed.