Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I've got steam heat

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,586
water quality, and venting. The more you do with these, the better things will get.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    I've got steam heat

I recently found this site and got myself "The Steamy Deal". While reading "We Got Steam Heat" Dan states on page 21 your rooms should be cozy in 20 minutes. I decided to time my system. I turned up the thermostat 1* to 70. After 7 minutes the steam was to the mains (I have 2). After 13 minutes the steam was to the end of the mains(vented with Gorton #1's). At 20 minutes I checked all the radiators. The first couple sections of each were hot. The boiler ran for 35 minutes total and shut off on the thermostat. Checked all the radiators all were hot all the way across. All the radiators have Heat Timer varivalves. My system is quiet when it runs, no hissing or banging. I done this a couple of times and what I've found is consistent. My questions is does Dan think this should take only 20 minutes and not 35?

Mark
  • DanHolohan
    I think

that if your pipes are insulated and the venting is balanced, it shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to heat the whole house.
    Retired and loving it.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    How long should it take?

Is there a "rule of thumb" for the length of time it should take to get steam to all one pipe radiators on the first floor; second floor; third floor; etcetera of a mid sized apartment block? Each main is about 100 feet in length.
  • Mark N

Dan thanks for the quick reply. The main in the back is completely insulated. The one in front is missing some. My plan is get all the old removed and put on new. It looks like I've got some work to do. The steam took 6 minutes to get down my mains. The one main is 22ft long the other is 23 ft. Is 6 minutes to long. I've got to try that test with a ball valve inplace of main vent and retime.

Mark
  • DanHolohan
    I've seen

well-balanced one-pipe steam systems get hot in apartment buildings in five minutes, Dawg. That's every radiator. It's all about the air venting.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark N

The water in the gauge looks ok I can see through it. Doesn't look like chocolate milk. The water bounces about 1/2" to 1" no foaming. I have the pressuretrol set-up like in your book. I guess the venting isn't right. How long should it take from a cold start to have steam at the header?

Mark
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    WOW

I am going to do some exploration. With your help and books I could make a big impact in comfort in these buildings.
  • DanHolohan
    It depends

on how much water is in the boiler, Mark. How long does it take for water to boil? At what temperature is the water on start-up? How big is the fire. You have to consider stuff like that. It all happens pretty quickly, though, when things are done right.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,159
    well now

It does depend on what you mean by 'warm'. To get all the radiators warm, or at least steam to all the radiators, 20 minutes yes. To get all the radiators warm all the way across? That may take a good bit longer. To get the place cosy? Right. Where did you start? At 65? Might take 20 minutes to get to 68, might take longer, might take less. Did you start at 35? Might take quite a while!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mark N

According to the manual the boiler has 6.5 gallons and 5 gallons for "steamable water volume". The boiler is 105kbtu. When I made the test today the boiler was cold off for at least 4 to 5 hours. Also the boiler is natural gas.

Mark
  • Mark N

I replaced the main vents(Gorton#1's) with ball valves. Took 3 minutes for steam to go the lenght of the mains. Yesterday was 6 minutes with vents in place.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    If they were

full-port ball valves, that would replicate as open a venting as you will have, obviously.

What size were the ball valves and were they full or conventional port?
  • Mark N

They are 3/4" full ball valves

Mark
This discussion has been closed.