Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What type of insulation to use for steam pipes?

Jim Bennett
Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
tell you what not to use.

Saw a steam line in a commercial building newly insulated with poly foam insulation.

As soon as the steam hit it, it looked like a snake shedding it's skin!

Didn't smell very good either.

Oops!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Jason_44
    Jason_44 Member Posts: 60

Most of the pipes (mains, takeoffs, etc.) in my 1-pipe steam system are still covered with the old Johns-Manville "Asbestocel," except for all of the near-boiler piping which was torn out (along with the asbestos) long ago.

I have two questions about pipe insulation for steam pipes:

1. It's not practical for me to remove all the asbestos in the basement, but some of it is crumbling, especially at the elbows. Is there something I can apply over it to contain the asbestos and maybe even gain some insulating value?

2. For my base pipes: The fiberglass insulation for heating pipes at Home Depot is the thin, crappy-looking stuff and the adhesive doesn't hold worth a damn. Plus, they don't have insulation for all the fittings, just the pipes. Is there a better product out there than what's available at the home centers? If so, where would I find it?

Thanks.

Jason White
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Search

Do a Wall search on "pipe insulation" and you will find all you are looking for and much much more.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,159
    on your question 1

I have -- quite successfully -- wrapped the old asbestos insulation on steam pipes, and fittings, with the plaster impregnated surgical gauze used by docs to make casts with for folks with broken bones. Stuff is pretty readily available -- I got mine from a place called Micro-Mark, but there are other resources, and cheap, and easy (if slightly messy) to use. Conforms to anything, takes the heat well, and seals the asbestos.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • yeap....

That what I call cold water paste and cheese clothes to hold its place.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610

If the asbestos is relatively solid an asbestos remediation contractor should be able to wrap/encapsulate it.
    For insulation google for fiberglass pipe insulation contractors, or see McMaster Carr, www.mcmaster.com (though probably not cheapest source) for a sense of what's available, e.g. 1" thick x 3ft lengths, PVC fitting covers and the underwrap, etc.
This discussion has been closed.