Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Runtal radiator

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,145
Check to make sure steam in not getting into your return line pressurizing them which could lead to the trap not discharging into the return ,what kinda of pressure are you running the boiler at and check your other traps and make sure they are not blowing steam into the returns ,

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Paul Smith
    Paul Smith Member Posts: 1
    Runtal Radiator

Mr. Holehan,

3 years back, we installed (4) European radiators by Runtal to a 2 pipe steam heating system. We removed the existing cast iron radiators with 3/4" steam supply and 1/2 return. We simply adapted to copper below the floor and ran lines to wall and up wall to new style raditors.

3 of the 4 radiators work ok, but the 4th radiator in the bedroom has not worked. We have taken the radiator off the wall several times and have blown air through the supply side to find that the air will blow out the return pipe as if there is a Tee connecting together the supply and return before the radiator.

All radiators are on the 2nd floor and the supply line goes down the wall to mail steam header. We believe that the return goes down to a separate return header, but we have not located this line.

When we fire up the boiler with the radiator off, the return trap will start to blow cold air up through the trap (trap open with element out), and the live steam will then flow through the supply.

If we reassemble the radiator to wall, it will work for maybe 1 or 2 times and then lock back up. We also have tried an air vent to radiator. To operate like a one pipe system, but only with the same result, it will operate only once.

I have invited several heating contractor colleagues to the job and we all seem to agree that there is a connecting tee between the supply and return. One contractor said that this may be a way to make this radiator into a humidifider for the bedroom.

When I present this theory to supply house experts, they say they have never heard about this. I think we need to open up the floor and wall to eliminate a possible tee in line to solve this issue. Please let me know if you have ever heard of this theory, and your ideas on how to fix this problem.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.