Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood Stove and Steam Heat

Joe_139
Joe_139 Member Posts: 2
Bob,
It is vented with a 6 inch stainless chimney liner recommedned by the Mfg. woodstock Soapstone Stoves. The hearth extension was made with durock, sheetmetal, and porcelain tile. The stove weighs 500 lbs so we also added a wood beam with two steel posts in the basement just to be safe.

Joe

Comments

• Joe_139
    Joe_139 Member Posts: 2
    wood sotve and steam heat

We have a new wood stove (in front of old fireplace)in the same room as the steam heat thermostat and planned to relocate the thermostat to the second floor after we see the impact of the stove. The question is, location of the new thermostat, hallway or bedroom? There are four bedrooms. Also, is it feasable to use two thermostats (one at a time) with a switch at the boiler to return the house to the pre-wood stove configuration if needed? Home was bult in 1929 and has gas boiler. We are not trying to heat the whole house with wood.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    I would opt

for a central location such as a hall, IF the doors surrounding it are open most of the time. I have never seen your house so really have no idea...

Now, an interior hall does not have a heat loss so relies on losses from adjacent spaces to get a bead on what the temperature is.

If a bedroom, well, is it sunny some days or is it representative of a typical room? If the thermostat is on the upper floor and you have a well-insulated room, the thermostat will be satisfied too quickly; the downstairs may get cold if the wood stove is not running.

I have a gas-log stove and the automatic-side heating thermostat is around the corner, out of that room so that the stove effect will not freeze the rest of the house. I have seen this happen- adding a wood stove and some remote corner that had enough heat before lost out... just enough to freeze. This is always a laundry room on the second floor, according to Murphy's Law..
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,071

Joe, how is your stove vented? Is this a hearth stove sitting on the hearth extension? What sort of floor protection do you have?
    TIA,
This discussion has been closed.