Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

a few steam heat questions!

2»

Comments

• Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
    Calling Brad White

brad, hi again.
    I finally got my hands on a tee, but do i absolutely need to move the vents 6" back. I have very limited room as you can see via the pics.
    I was just planning to taking out the existing vent (on the elbow) and adding a tee to that.
    The newly installed tee would allow me to add 2 more vents.

knowing this, should i leave my current set up or should i just go ahead and add the vents via the new tee?

Thanks so muchh!!
  • Kool Rod

brad you around?
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Zzzzzzz..... Huh? Wha?

Oh, sorry, Jackie- did not know you were looking for me :)
  • Brad White_203
    Tee Time

My second choice would be what I call the "Back Antler", an elbow in one direction with tees and nipples in series which allows as many vents as you need to get you fast venting time. It also gives at least some protection to the vents from a surge of steam-borne moisture at high velocities. Not as much protection as a proper "back from the end" location, but they are known to work.

You are just trying for an ideal. Screwing a vent into the end as you have it though is asking for another Angel in Air Vent Heaven....

"Whenever you hear water hammer, an air vent angel gets it's wings.." I just thought of that, but think Frank Kapra was on to something :)

So, did we ever find out where you are located? You may need a pro there, despite the admiration you have earned for doing what you are doing so far by yourself.
  • Kool Rod

hey brad. im up in NY, LI. are you from here?
    im trying to avoid spending massive amount of dollars to put in a tee. the mains are all above ceiling panels and to redo the piping may be a big job. im looking for a feasible and budget solution in which i dont have to tear apart my ceilings...
    so do you recommend what i suggested?

i just spend >$4K on the boiler install and just want it to work efficiently. Dont get my wrong, i have learned a tremendous amount of things from you, but i want to maximize and justify the cost of the boiler...

as always, THANKS BRAD!
  • Brad White_203
    Not to volunteer anyone

but you are in the heart of steam practitioner heaven. Matt Sweeney in Floral Park (Triple Crown) comes to mind. Robert O'Brien is also on LI.

I am in Boston by the way.

As for your suggestion, sure, why not?? I skimmed over that part. Sorry. You have my diagram, just get the vents as high as you can and as far away as you can from the elbow. If you can go in two directions, why not, yes, I would do that.

Keep us posted as to how it turns out!
  • Kool Rod

so sorry, i think i mightve confused you.

i have your diagram, but your diagram calls for me to run the line back.
    What if i just added a straight tee to where my main vent is now (see pics above) and put 2 gorton #1s on there.

i know its a bad location per your previous advice, but for the lack of a better solution(short of taking down ceiling panels) is this way feasible or should i not even bother and leave my current set up(1 gorton #1 on elbow of return line, pics above).

Thanks for your continuing to give me valuable FREE advice. =)
  • Brad White_203
    Confused?? Moi?? :)

Hi Jackie

That diagram was for a friend for whom I did some venting and tune up work, but is generic for most purposes!

You can certainly start that first vertical at the top of your current tee but make the arms longer, would be my suggestion. Not number one but better than having your vents become number two. :)

Oh, my advice? Free? Essentially so, but buying a few bricks to help our host would be a Mitzvah :)
  • Wayne Heid_2
    Wayne Heid_2 Member Posts: 22

Brad, where is Robert o'brien from?
    which company, i dont see him listed on the find a pro.
This discussion has been closed.