Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Recommendations

Options
is the most efficient I know of. It's a wet-base boiler with a power gas burner, that can also burn oil. Its thermal efficiency is roughly 6% better than the usual atmospheric boiler.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Efficient Oil Steam Boiler

After going a year or two without installing any steam boilers I know have two definite installs and maybe one more, they are all residential units requiring between 350 - 500 Sq ft of steam. About 6 months ago a saw some literature on the Burnham Megasteam and I guess they also have a piping kit for it. I ran into one guy who said it's the only boiler he will use for steam from now on. Just looking for some constructive input.

Thanks,
  • Brad White_200
    Brad White_200 Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Everyone I respect regarding steam

gives the Burnham Megasteam high marks. It is oil-fired only, so be it, but if I had only oil available and a steam system of course, this is the boiler I would use.

It comes in EDR ratings of 288, 396, 513 and 629 so seems to fit your applications pretty well.

This is a "made for the purpose" steamer, I was told. Not a boiler which can be converted or to serve several applications. It is also relatively easy to clean and is 3-pass, not unlike larger commercial boilers.

I have seen one installed as a replacement (only so many steam jobs out there) and properly piped as it is, very quiet and fast.
  • JoeSmo
    JoeSmo Member Posts: 1
    Options
    What about gas?

What are the options if you only have gas available?
  • JackR
    Options
    No Natural Gas

There is no gas available on the job.
  • JackR
    Options
    Smith

Would you use the Smith oil over the Burnham Megasteam? If so, Why
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    On oil

and if no gas is available, the MegaSteam is the best. But on gas or if the owner might want to switch the boiler between fuels, the Smith is the unit of choice.

The reason is, Smith offers the 8 series with the gas burner from the factory. Burnham does not offer one in the MegaSteam, though they know we want it. If the factory doesn't offer or support it, it's not a good idea to field-engineer this. It might void the warranty.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.