Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting steam to hot water

Options
I have a 2700 sq ft home. When I first bought the house I was using 1400 gallon of oil a year to heat it. Last year I spent $1200 for natural gas. The way it was operating when I bought the house in 1985 it would have cost me between $5600 and $6300 That's a 500% savings by setting it up right. The combustion of the burners needs to be setup. Gas pressures differences and manufacturing tolerence exist and effect the firing rate of the boilers.

Comments

• Blackmajah
    Blackmajah Member Posts: 12
    Options
    converting one pipe steam to hot water

Are any efficiencies to be gained by converting from one pipe steam to hot water? Or would the costs involved exceed any efficiencies gained?

The radiators are connected both top and bottom all the way across with push nipples and have threaded fittings that can be removed. So I assume it is possible to get water to flow through them.

I need a new boiler anyway so would it be more cost effective to convert to hot water system and water boiler or just a new steam boiler?

Thanks
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    stick with steam

Although it is possible to switch I personally do not believe you will save any money and will possibly cause yourself more headaches (i.e. pipes that never had water in them will now leak). Now would be the time to get a good boiler, replace your vents and go over the pipe insulation. Have it done right...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    please don't...

I'm right there with ichmb -- a rather poor idea, on many grounds! You'll gain almost nothing in efficiency; you'll probably lose in comfort; it will cost a small mint (you'll have to repipe everything -- you did say one pipe? Water -- except some fascinating very old systems -- takes two)... and as the man says, it'll leak like a seive (including the radiators.

Stick with the steam -- get it properly tuned up, and a good new boiler, and live happily!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dean_7
    Dean_7 Member Posts: 192
    Options
    conversion

I'm a homeowner who happens to have one pipe steam heat. I considered doing what you are considering doing when I needed a new boiler. I listened to the people here on the wall particularly Steamhead, Mad Dog, and Steve Ebels and didn't do it. I restored my one pipe steam system and dropped my natural gas bill 60% (I've got the bills to prove it)You will find the costs of conversion and the drawbacks associated with it exceed the cost of restoring yours system (even though some people will tell you different).
This discussion has been closed.