Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How long do steam pipes last?

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
STEAM piping usually lasts for ever. or at least a hundred years. unless it is covered with soil or concrete. then anything after seven years is a gift. threads can rot on occasion & wet returns usually are good for at least 25 years

Comments

• Glenn Franzky
    Glenn Franzky Member Posts: 2
    Options

Greetings everyone! I am involved in a heating inspection for a large monastery in Ontario. This building was built in 1891. Leaks pop up every now and then and the customer is asking that age old question: "Do you think the piping needs to be replaced?" In reading Dan's books, and in view of the faact that steam piping always rusts, what do you folks think? Is it time to trash the piping?
  • Glenn Franzky
    Glenn Franzky Member Posts: 2
    Options
    117 Years Old

The system is pushing 117 years. Some of the condensate returns have rotted out inside walls. It's a two-pipe system with air vents in the rads.??? This leads me to think that it may have been a one pipe system and was converted at one time. How does one know for sure? I thought it was only one pipe systems in the 1890's with two pipe showing up in the 1900's. In any case, do you really think that the dry pipes could be expected to last much beyond 117 years? We're thinking of renovating and don't know if it's time to gut the inside and do all the steam piping at the same time.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Steam Pipe Longevity

Do you have water hammer? That will punch holes in the steam pipes. Could you please post pictures of your system?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    That's probably

a 2-pipe air-vent system. The steam pipes should be fine, but the wet returns should be replaced. That's where you've had leaks, right?

Also, what pressure are you running? The lower the better. Are there properly sized air vents on the steam mains?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    117 years....

is one hell of a run! Me thinks it's probably earned it's retirement.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.