Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how does this valve and fitting work?

Options
Brad White_185
Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
Look in the Systems tab under Hot Water then under Gravity Hot Water.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/heating_howcome1.cfm

Look down near the bottom of that page...

IPTWOTW

Comments

• G L Caplan
    G L Caplan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    how does this work?

Hi folks...3 plumbers cant tell how this works
    One heat guy says theres a "venturi" that sends water into the radiator..but I dont see what makes the water circulate thru the radiator

These pipes are the only ones entering this hot water radiator. The heat guy says the radiators on the floor are in series. The home owner says the radiators that have these valves, I believe all on 1st floor get nice n warm

Any one know the straight dope on this??
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Venturi might be right.

I think of it more as a vane.

A portion of the water flowing past the valve is directed into the radiator by the vane and so that same amount of water is drawn out of the radiator simultaneously.
    The heated, less buoyant, water finds its way to the cold portions of the radiator and that's how you get warm.

Someone else may do a better job explaining.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    mystery valve

we have seen a picture of this type of valve on the wall in the last few months maybe there was some description with the picture--nbc
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I think it is like a monoflow tee

As John said, a venturi effect forcing higher velocity water into radiator from valve and then returning at a lower velocity back to valve. Neat idea. Tim
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Uh huh...

Tis a unique valve. I have the Honeywell Hot Water Gravity book in my office. i will bring it home and copy that page.

I love the print and wording used in their books. In one place, they speak of systems operating without the Honeywell #1 heat generator and say "If you have a system that is working well without the heat generator, it's OK, we understand..." or something to that effect.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Go Brad!....

Love the internetese, IPTWOTW

It pays to wander off the wall.

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

Dave Stroman has one I saw while I was at Wetstock. It has a divider in the middle, and forces water into the rad from one side and sucks from the other side. Very unique valve...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    From the Library

Here's the patent for the Unique valve

And if you look in this Honeywell catalog on page 23, you'll find more on the the valve.

It does pay to wander off the Wall.
    Retired and loving it.
  • joe_108
    joe_108 Member Posts: 5
    Options

What a great book to have in one's library. I have never seen this valve installed, but i did give Dan H a OS fitting a few years back
  • Neat!

I like the next section where it describes the huge T'stat with clock as "small and attractive". LOL...

Great publication, now part of my files, thanks!
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Options
    Mercury

Really cool book Dan.

Did you read in that book how they talk about how SAFE Mercury is????

Ed Carey
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Dan is the man

with the history. Dan the best part about the way you present your books is the blending of history with modern technology. So often I find people in the trades focusing on the newest technology and products that will be disposable in a few short years. Your application of the history of the trade commands respect.
    jerryvinson123
This discussion has been closed.