Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Runtal towel warmer in gravity system?

Options
gasfolk
gasfolk Member Posts: 392
and a Runtal panel rad for supplemental heat in a rear entryway, and even with 1/2 inch supply and return it heats to our needs. We did take a supply and return off the gravity mains for a pumped zone (with Tekmar radiant floor controller) to radiant heat for the kitchen and a bathroom with ceramic tile floors, and if you can, it is definitely worth it.

Just our experience. YMMV.

gf

Comments

• mike poole
    mike poole Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Runtal towel warmer in gravity system?

Hello all- first, many thanks from this lurker for your expertise! I've only recently found this board and have already learned some details about my heating system that I just hadn't been able to figure out...

For now, I have just a quick newbie question, I'm sure I'll be back with some other stuff later... a rough outline of my system is:

•American Radiator Company gas-fired boiler
    •gravity system, no pump, although there is a
    •Honeywell Heat Generator (seems to be working- pressure gauge on system shows 10PSI when system on)
    •Double risers/returns, largest 2", other 1.5"
    •Radiator pipes either 1" or 3/4" depending on rad size.
    •System currently only has rads on one floor, 2nd floor rads and piping were removed long before I got the house. 2nd floor heat currently lame forced air. Blech.
    •I usually run ~150 degree water, this works fine for all but the coldest spells here in Nashville TN
    •system works great as-is. I've only had to replace the main gas valve (was a Detroit Controls unit, mica plate & everything- fascinating piece of technology) and add a Honeywell T775 for control.

I'm in the midst of bathroom renovations and am toying with the idea of adding towel warmers/incidental heat rads to both bathrooms (1st and 2nd floors) since I have the walls open and can re-pipe. I have the original taps available on the supply riser and return: mid-pipe for 2nd floor, 45 degree/top pipe for 1st floor.

Do the Runtals or similar panel rads have enough water volume to work properly w/o a pump? Would the 1/2" pipe size effectively work as a plate restrictor on the 2nd floor unit?

The bathrooms are small, so they don't really need much in the way of real heat- the 1st floor has been fine without any heat actually in the bathroom, the 2nd floor has air heat but the wind chill practically negates it.

Comments? Suggestions?
  • gasfolk
    gasfolk Member Posts: 392
    Options
    We have gravity without a pump...

and a Runtal panel rad for supplemental heat in a rear entryway, and even with 1/2 inch supply and return it heats to our modest needs (haven't put a thermometer to it to calculate btu output). We did take a supply and return off the gravity mains for a pumped zone (with Tekmar radiant floor controller) to radiant heat for the kitchen and a bathroom with ceramic tile floors, and if you can, the floor warmth on chilly days is definitely worth the effort.

Just our experience. YMMV.

gf
This discussion has been closed.