Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Leak?

Couderay
Couderay Member Posts: 314
Tom get someone, any one, when seen will know exactly what to do. Any leak small or real small needs to be addressed.

Comments

• TomO
    TomO Member Posts: 7
    Radiator Leak?

I have 1 pipe steam and think I found a small leak in the radiator immediately above the boiler. There is a small wet spot on the carpet under the connection of the valve and radiator. I have two questions - 1. how do I fix this? Is it just a matter of tightening? I have a pipe wrench large enough to fit over the nut but it so close to the wall I can't really turn it. 2. I had to refill the boiler this last week. How much water could a small leak like this lose if the boiler is running in cold weather?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    You'd be real surprised...

how much water a 'small' steam leak can lose! Because an awful lot of the steam goes into the air; what you see on the floor isn't the half of it.

That said, that's a union connection to the radiator. You can tighten them -- a big adjustable crescent is better than a pipe wrench, to avoid damaging the nut. There is a bit of a trick to it (isn't there always in plumbing?!) but the it shouldn't have to be that tight -- you don't have to reef on it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.