Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Putting the wrenches away

Options
It sounds like an exciting future lies ahead!

Comments

• Mark Hunt_2
    Mark Hunt_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Comfortable Home Technologies

is closed.

I have taken a position with Wilo NA and I will be traveling around doing training seminars with the Wilo Brain Box. If you haven't seen it yet, it is an amazing training aid. It let's you see what you could only read about before.

My territory covers states east of the Mississippi river.....oh.......and occasionally western states too.....oh and Calgary, Alberta.........and sometimes Germany. In any event, I will probably be in a town near many of you in the near future. I hope to see old friends and meet some new ones. Wilo has some wild stuff heading this way.

My reasons for closing the company are many but the main one is that I was getting bored. (Or was it that "staying up late doing office stuff" stuff?????)

Dan H wrote about the "lottery test" in one of his books. Ask yourself this question, "If I hit the lottery tomorrow for a million bucks, would I quit my job?"....I recently failed the lottery test. Time to move on. I happened on the Wilo opportunity quite by accident. I clicked on the "jobs" section of the wall(something I had NEVER done before) and there was the Wilo listing. The Wall produces results!!

To the wallies that gave Darin and I sound business advice....THANK YOU! You all helped to keep us from going belly up within that first year. Matt "Maddog" Sweeney and Scott Milne especially but I learned SO MUCH just from reading the wisdom posted here by others, too many to list.

I hope to see some of you soon.

Mark H
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Well at least

you did a steam system while running CHT!

When are you coming to Baltimore?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wow , that is Big News

I'm very glad you're moving into something that'll put a spark back in the worklife ( although I woulda never known you'd flunk the lottery test after talking with you in the city a few months ago ) .

Wilo is very lucky to get a man with such passion for , and knowlege of , the industry . Good for you , buddy ! If you're going to be anywhere close to Long Island , let me know . It's always a pleasure catching up with you .
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    Let

me be the first to congratulate you on your new position.Good Luck!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Baltimore

I do not have my schedule worked out just yet Frank, but as soon as I know I will tell you.

I got an e-mail from the gentleman I installed that steam system for a few weeks ago. He wants to schedule a C&T and is considering replacing his old oil tank with a Roth. He said that the system ran great last winter. You are 100% correct Frank!! THAT system will stay with me as long as I live.

Hope to see you soon!!

Mark H
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Let

me be the first to say "Thank You"!!!

Mark H
  • New Position

I've got to say that you have finally found your niche. You have to be the best salesman I have ever seen, a natural.

Warm congratulations and "the Best of Luck!!!".
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Well

"( although I woulda never known you'd flunk the lottery test after talking with you in the city a few months ago ) ."

That's because you and I talk about the job, not "the business". We could talk for hours about boilers, circs, relays, good customers, bad customers,CRAZY customers...and have a GREAT time doing it! Bring up "comp insurance, liability, over-head, blah blah blah.......and our eyes would dry up and fall out of our heads. I can do it, but I hate it.

A compliment from you means more to me than you could know and I very much appreciate your kind words. When I hit LI, and I will, I'll kidnap you from work that day. Always good to see you Ron!

Thanks so much!!

Mark H
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Don Knuth!

Thanks Don!

The best part of this industry is the people....and YOU are one of the best!

Mark H
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Congratulations!

Hope your new position will leave you time enough to visit The Wall!

Good luck,

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options

Congrats. Sounds exciting.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Congratulations my friend...

You and Wilo NA are going to go real far, real fast.

Let me know if I can be of help, and I look forward to meeting you again.

As I told the folks at Wilo, "I can't think of a more passionate man for the position"

ME
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Thanks Jim!

I will ALWAYS monitor The Wall. I may not post as much, but that's ok. Dan has more geniuses gathered here than MENSA ever dreamed of.

Mark H
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Things you never forget

I will never forget the first time I met you.

Thank you Mark.

Mark H
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Andrew!

Thanks!!!

Our paths will cross. I look forward to it!

Mark H
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Thanks Ted!

Sounded exciting to me too.

Mark H
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    Options
    sounds great

Congrats Mark sounds like a great oppertunity,please keep us posted on your schedule. I would love to get to one if you ever make it to western Pa.
  • Mark Hunt_2
    Options
    Western PA

is east of the Mississippi so.........I will be there.

Thanks AJ!

I will see you soon!!

Mark H
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    Good for you.........

That's great news Mark. Sharing knowledge with people is a very rewarding thing to do and I suspect that you'll enjoy doing that a lot. Let me know when you find your way to Minnesota.

All the best to you in this new chapter in your life.

Larry
  • Leo G_101
    Leo G_101 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    atta boy Mark

if you get to Alberta, maybe we can get you all he way to the wet coast! Hope you get invigorated and have a bit of time to still post here, I always enjoy your way of looking at things!

PLEASE, keep in touch, especially if you are close to Vancouver, I would love to buy you a beer or six!

Leo G
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    Mark.

First of all, congratulations, I wish you the best success.
    I considered CHT one of the better ones in a 50 mile radius from me, and I
    admire your knowledge comitment and enthusiasm in the industry.

Second, If you want to rid yourself that Rems Akku press, I was thinking about having a second one, let me know please.

Third, let us know when those elusive Wilo Eco pumps are going to be available !
    I guess you'll be in Hartford next week with a Wilo shirt on, see you then.

Good Luck my Friend !

Devan

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Mark

My best wishes to you on the new endevour. You have made a tough decision and the right one. Wilo has gained a very passionate employee. How exciting to be in on a new adventure in a new market. I can't wait to see you here in my neck of the woods.

SO many of us get into business because we Love What we Do. Then you find out that alot of business is doing the stuff We Don't Do. Paperwork, Insurance, blah blah blah...

I'm humbled that I was able to help in anyway.

What is really amazing to me, is this place called The Wall. I never would have met a heating contractor from upstate N.Y. let alone become friends. Whats also great is that The Wall now has a direct line to Wilo that will be able to help us all with these exciting products. YOu've got a built in customer base.

Come on over to the Nawth Shore and show me those new products. I look forward to seeing you.

Scott

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Mark, If you’re happy I’m happy! Congratulations brother and may the lords blessings continue to be with you, both in your work and in your travels.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    Options
    Congratulations, Mark

You'll be a great addition to Wilo!

You're a natural for the position. I look forward to seeing you with the demo trailer. Your enthusiasm is contageous.

Noel
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Congratulations

wall friend. All the best from Central Mass.

Jack
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    Mark

Mark,

Best of luck with your new position. If you ever travel to the DC area, be sure to look me up.

- Dan

• Ruthe Jubinville_2
    Ruthe Jubinville_2 Member Posts: 674
    Options
    The best part

of this job will be the new people you meet and the new friends. Congratulations!
    Ruthe
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2
    Options
    Cool!

I'd echo what ME said. Congratulations & Wilo is lucky to have found such a catch.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    You can leave knowing...

That you have raised the bar in this industry.

My sincerest congratulations on your new position. Nebraska is not THAT far west of the Mississipi and I would love to see the demo.

In fact, Siggy's upcoming presentation on "Low Powered Hydronic's" was going to steer me towards the Wilo booth for more info.

Regards,

Paul

Regards,

PR
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    kidding yourself

Hanging up the wrenches? Your kidding yourself.

If I were you I wouldn't throw out the tools just yet.

Speaking for myself, I left the field 12 years ago. Went into project management and sales. When the pace gets hectic I dream of the simplier days when I was the happy go lucky plumber. A couple times a year I'll break out the tools to do something for friends or family. That refreshes my memory as to why I hung it up. Seems like the trades may always be in my blood but the back thinks differently.

Best of luck in the new venture. I'm looking forward to meeting you again.

Keith
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    You've hooked your wagon

to a very bright star ;) best of luck. Wilo is an interesting company with a lot of fun, bright team members. You will learn a lot and have exciting travels, I predict.

I've been having similar thoughts myself. I could put the tools aside, I think, but not completely away, just yet.

hot rod

• John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    I'm......

....happy for you, Mark! Best of luck (not that you'll need it!) to you, and let me know if you're ever in Ohio.

Starch
  • Joannie_14
    Joannie_14 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Congratulations!

Mark, that's exciting. Good for you! I hope you enjoy it!

Joannie
  • George Peteya_4
    George Peteya_4 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Let me add ...

... my congratulations too, my new friend. I met you at, of all places, the recent Wilo seminar in Albany. Hope to see you again.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Good for You *~/:)

That you have dialed into the tired all over again part, its all good :) Dropping the wrenches is a toughie for anyone, don't give them all away, you might find some people in your mission with Wilo that could use your skills with the wrenches. ....

Well, for me having a Wilo rep /brain box educator visit Alaska'
    would be a great thing indeed. Thanks to this site i have to say we have all come into contact with influences that have changed our lives for the better. the best years are yet to come , good luck....

New day 08 16 2007...

we went to a Wilo class this evening at the Regency where Mark Dagostino ,had a presentation of the new circs... We had some serious individuals in the class :) one of the Locals was Mike Desmond, the owner of Western Mechanical. He has installed quite a few Wilos recently and is really interested in the new pumps we hope will soon be available in our market. he is a radiant heating mechanical contractor in our area. You will be meeting many people all over the country, now . you will be like a messenger with the Good News . :) Your new place in the work will probably be the most rewarding part of your career...The Chinese have a saying, that from the indigo the blue is extracted..meaning from the best teachers the best students process the very best from what they learn , transforming it into something even better..

Wilo is all about this century what a perfect match for you Mark. *~/:) Good Luck.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

> Thanks!!!

>

> Our paths will cross. I look

> forward to it!

>

> Mark H

There is no doubt in my mind.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options

> Thanks!!!

>

> Our paths will cross. I look

> forward to it!

>

> Mark H

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know !

I'm about as surprised as anyone could possibly be...but hopeful that you find "inner peace" in your new chosen destination.

I've often thought about putting the wrenches down...but then the "wants to stay out of JAIL" side of my brain kicks in..

I'd be lost doing anything else right now, although the spine is starting to complain MIGHTILY some times..

Best of luck in your new endevour, Bunkie ! I too hope to see you in the area...and we can have a get togethaa. Chris

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    wow

Mark..I know where you're coming from..love the trade, hate the biz.

That is awesome, man! I wish you the best, and maybe you'll get to CT..going to REX?

Take care brother.
  • Rich Kontny_4
    Rich Kontny_4 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Congrats.

Good things happen to good people. I think you are getting in with a great company as it just gets known in this country.

You will miss the tools but I am sure you will get over it.

Best wishes on your new endeaver!!!

Rich K.
This discussion has been closed.