Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Easy Conversion

Options
I'm sure many or most of you know this, but a conversion I was sweating is very easy.

For dilute aqueous (in water) solution:

miligrams per liter = parts per million

I suppose it's no coincidence that 1 liter of standard water weighs right at 1 kilogram...

Comments

• Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    You've discovered the basics of the metric system...

and it is oh so much better than what we work with. All weights and measures are interelated based on a base 10 system. I did lots of lab work in High School, so metrics are (or were, at least) second nature to me. Some day we will get our heads out of our _____ and convert. Once again America is the leading the charge to go backwards!

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    True

Some guy suggested the king's weight and arm length has no place in science.

He deemed water, being universal in access and uniform in nature - everywhere (except on The Mighty Passaic River), should be 1 kiloGram in weight, that weight should fit into 1 Liter of volume and the container for that volume/weight of water should be exactly 1 centimeter X 1 centimeter square.

Or something "like" that (;-o)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Megs per Keg

In my medic/EMT training, dosages were always given in Mg. per Kg., milligrams of really cool drugs per kilograms of body weight.

Blood alcohol counts work out the same way, 0.08% is the same as 80 mg. per 100 ml. so it follows as a percentage basis.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Oooo, you drink the stuff by the keg? Me, by the pint is enough.

Funny thing, Europeans convert their metric system with regular indecisiveness, our grandfathers would not speak the same metric language our fathers do, while kids have learned a whole new babble of their own - meanwhile, grocery getters still buy there bread by the pound loaf (of 500 g or sometimes also 450 g) their beer by the pint (of 2.5 dl) their meat by the ounce (of 100 g) Screwed pipes still all come in inches. Odd isn't it?

For me one hugely sore point in the metric world is the pressure measurements. We have the ubiquitous PSI, look up conversions for that and you get megabarfable units.

In any case it pays to know both systems.

Cheers to all
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Can't be a cubic centimeter that the liter would fit into but perhaps a cubic decimeter (1/100th of a cubic meter).

Hope I remembered right and decimeter is 1/10th of a meter--am too lazy to look up right now.
This discussion has been closed.