Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EDR for an old style ceiling radiator

Al Letellier_9
Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
Is it iron pipe or cast iron?....a photo would be a great help.

Comments

• chuck_6
    chuck_6 Member Posts: 107
    EDR for an old style ceiling radiator

We have a ceiling radiator in our garage. In total there are 15 tubes in a row. The end ones are each about 2 1/2" in diameter, then in from each end there are three that are about 2" in diameter, then in from that there are two that are 2 1/2" in diameter and in the middle are again three that are about 2" in diameter.

Each column is about 36" long. With the 15 tubes, the width is also about 36" long. If anyone has any idea about the EDR please let me know.

Thanks,
    Chuck
  • chuck_6
    chuck_6 Member Posts: 107

It is probably cast iron. This is a one-pipe steam system and all of the other radiators are cast iron.
  • Daniel_7
    Daniel_7 Member Posts: 9

Most likely it's a US Capitol or A@R co. wall radiator that was used very often to be placed against the ceiling underneath a kitchen or room above the garage to keep the cold air from penetrating the floor. If it looks like mine then it's a American Radiator company "Peerless" wall radiator. The EDR ratings are different for each style as there are at least 5 styles and configurations in the "Peerless" wall radiator line. Take a picture and post it. By your description you have a model 7-A A&R co. wall radiator x 2 joined at the middle by left/right threaded nipples. The EDR ratings for this set-up total 14 heating sqft. or EDR. Notice the "A&R co." intertwined on the plug.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    These puppies

were also used on the ends of the steam mains in some installations, as 'condensors'. They helped get steam to the ends of the mains in a big big hurry, and didn't hurt the overhead warmth any. I have two in the basement -- one at either end -- at the ends of 75 foot 3" mains.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.