Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Night and Day

Options
Supply House Rick
Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
One is Darin's the other is anonymous. Can you guess who's is who's? Saw this install the other day. Please feel free to critique... Funny thing is when I showed them Darin's work, they said "hey, he does it like we do!"

Rick

Comments

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    A Blind Man Could Tell the Difference

And a blind man could have been Darin's competitor....

Well, to be fair, both systems would work (EDIT: aside from the keen observations of UniR and others), but Darin's work is obviously a standard-setter. Things that make you go "Oooh!"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    You are doing

the second person a service by showing him Darin's work. Make sure he has a picture to take and peruse. All the difference between the 2 will take time for him to absorb. I remember trying to copy Heatboys style early on (minus the diamond plating)and falling way short. I've gotten a little better each time, but still have a ways to go. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    How long?

How long has the non-Darin install been dripping condensate directly on the floor?
  • Supply House Rick
    Options
    You could go on and on

How about the extrol leaning back, crooked condensate trap/piping dumping on the floor etc. Was told by customer needed btus to heat the house and that's what I gave him...
  • Supply House Rick
    Options
    You could go on and on

How about the extrol leaning back, crooked condensate trap/piping dumping on the floor etc. Here's another angle...
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    AS Janis would say ...

" OH MY GAWWWDDD "

I'm speechless ......

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Trap

You might want to tell the contractor that they are dumping exhaust out the boiler.The trap needs to be upstream of the boiler condensate.

Dobber
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Thank you for the picture of Darin's work .

it has crisp lines , straight , orderly and the piping looks well supported.

i like to see insulation in the rim joist cavity ....it is a biggie to me.call the homeowner and remind him that no matter how well Darin does his work if someone drops the ball on the other end the system suffers ...
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Dobber is 100% correct Rick

The way that boiler venting is now, exhaust IS being blown into the house through the PVC drain from the exhaust stack.

The "pro" that piped this put the trap in the wrong place. There is ALREADY a condensate trap in the GB, the exterior trap is for the exhaust condensate only.

That has the potential of killing someone if left as is.

TELL HIM he needs to fix it.

Mark H

• ScottMP
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong

But if there is a condensate trap then CO could'nt get out of that arrangment ?? Yes or No ??

What am I missing ??

Scott

• singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    Scott

Scott, there is a funnel cup under the boiler which indirectly collects the condenstae from the internal trap. Exhaust can leak out of the funnel.

The stellar workmanship shown by Darin is hard for most to follow.
    The thing is, on the next job , the other guy ,propbably will do things the same way and not learn from others or himself. Darin, is the kind of installer , who's always looking to improve upon each and every install.

• ScottMP
    Options
    my bad

Shows I should get out in the field more often.

Your rigth Singh. I was thinking it was a sealed trap.

Never Mind

Scott

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Long term study

It would be really interesting to follow the service and operating history of these two installs. They are so glaringly different that even the most inexperienced person could see the difference a quality installation is going to make over the long haul.

AFA pointing out issues with the hack job, I keep coming back to the novel approach on the feed water line....... Must be they left it accessible for ease of service.....Other than that, it's a mystery to me. The switch box with no cover is a dandy especially after watching my grandson try to insert a knife (plastic thankfully) into an outlet this evening. I have to assume the guy does not own a level. In addition to that assumption, I'm guessing that he didn't read or can't understand the picture in the manual regarding the vent trap. I would also have to guess that he's trying to eliminate a low humidity problem for the HO by draining the condensate on the floor........I wouldn't sell this guy any more boilers if I were the supply house. His installations will come back to bite you.
  • Larry C_8
    Larry C_8 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Strain reliefs for Romex are available.

If the installer can't find the Romex cable clamps locally, I would be happy to send him some. Do I even want to guess if the ground wires are connected?
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Just so everyone understands

I have highlighted the path of the exhaust in the attached pic.

It's one thing to be sloppy, quite another to be clueless.

At the end of the red line is an open cup, much like an indirect waste. There is NOTHING preventing flue gas, a.k.a CO, from being pumped into this home.

It does not matter how cheap this guy sold the job for. I guarantee you the customer expected it would be done correctly AND they never expected that their new, "cheap" system might kill them.

For anyone thinking that "there isn't that much CO coming out of that 3/4" pipe"...... How much Cyanide is safe to drink???

As for the remark that "He does them just like we do".......it would be easy to say that Darin has forgotten more than this team will ever know....except.....Darin does NOT forget. Darin puts the HEALTH AND SAFETY of his customers at the top of the list when it comes to ANY install. I am sick and tired of hearing about jobs being done like this because of the "competitive market" in that particular area. There is no competition between those contractors. They all fall within a few bucks of each other. What they have is a race to the bottom. Looks like this guy is a "winner" in that race.

You really should point this out to the contractor.

I hope there aren't any kids living in that house.

Mark H

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    This is why

I come here.

Thanks, Mark.
  • Supply House Rick
    Options
    Mark, Thanks for the illustration

I will address this on Friday when I get back to office...
  • Brian
    Brian Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Rick

I'm assuming that you sold them the boiler and any other GB's.You need to make sure that the others are not piped the same way.You may even want to get Buderus involved.

Good Luck

Dobber
This discussion has been closed.