Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Instrumentation of existing Manual Valves

Options
Josh_10
Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
Are you trying to retro-fitt existing valves or replace them?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=434&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Richard Froelich
    Richard Froelich Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Valve position

I have several hundred existing manual valves (Mostly globe valves) that I need to instrument to determine the actual valve position. In an ideal world it would nice to have a 0-10 volt output representing valve position. The output of these valves will be connected to a computer system.

I also have some butterfly valves
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    Nothing unusual

This is done all the time, Richard. Most DDC systems have feedback valve position data as a function of their proportional signal.

Just do not confuse this with valve "output" for globe valves are anything but linear. 50% open might mean 90% of flow for example.
  • Brad White_101
    Brad White_101 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Fair point, Josh...

I missed the obvious point that he has existing globe valves while control-type globe valves use a piston-type stroke, not a rotary one. I suppose you could still get actuators of the rotary type with proportional I/O's... What do you think?
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Well I guess it depends on alot of things I guess. Brands, types, and how much work one is willing to put forth. Sounds like alot of work either way!

I am curious though as to what our friend is doing! Can you explain the project? Seems like quite an undertaking. Are you trying to get a proof of closure for the valves or measure flow? Perhaps differential pressure orifice type sensing devices might serve your purpose better?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.