Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam pipes

jackchips_2
jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
a shocking reminder, Alan.

Many years ago, when starting to replace a 4" CI soil stack, I put the sawsall to it and was zapped pretty good. The entire stack was alive from a wire.

Not just heating pipes and I bet there are many of us who have had similar experiences with all kinds of piping.

Looking forward to wireless power. :-))

Jack

Comments

• Jerome
    Jerome Member Posts: 1
    Steam Pipes

Are steam pipes supposed to be grounded with some sort of jumper from the pipe(s) to the house ground?

I understand the boiler itself is grounded, but what about the network of piping running around the perimeter of the cellar. Should a copper jumper cable be attached someplace directly between a steam pipe and bonded to the house's grounding system independently of the boiler's ground?

I have heard and seen conflicting theories on this.

What do you experts have to say?

Thanks
  • Never

thought about it, but it's probably not a bad idea. If, for any reason a live wire were to come in contact with a heating pipe, the piping would become "live" and you could get a shock from it. If the pipes are grounded, it would blow the circuit breaker instead of electrifying the pipe.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Hank
    Hank Member Posts: 1

Doesn't that create an alternate grounding loop/path that could defeat the boiler's ground?
This discussion has been closed.