Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Furnace In NJ, 100 Year-Old Boiler, Advice, Please.

Options
Hello Everyone!

Okay, so I'm a fairweather fan, this is the first day I've been here. But, hey, it's not like I'm replacing furnaces every day! In looking around, this looks like a really cool site.

So, here's the deal. Any advice you can offer me would be so appreciated! I'm a total heating noob; please be kind.

I've got a 100 year-old house with a serious boiler in the basement. The home is approximately 2,000 sq. feet). It is the orignal furnace, and was originally COAL! It was changed over to oil. The furnace, actually, it running very well; it purrs like a kitten. However, the pipes are beginning to show thier age, and the system is springing leaks left and right; and since everything is covered in warm/cozy asbestos, well...tt's time to replace her.

So, mainly I'm working with Metro Fuel out of Ridgefield, NJ (good or bad comments, please PM me). They are my oil provider, and they are also one of the Home Depot guys around here.

So, they are suggesting a Peerless ECT furnace, and it seems like it's a pretty heavy-duty piece.

So, what the questions I'm asking are there:

1. Has anyone had experience with Peerless ECT boilers? Good/Bad?

2. Any shining recommendations for furnace replacement guys in Northern, NJ?

3. What should I be prepared for re: installation, etc.

Anyway, I'm sure stuff will pop up as the hours and days go by, but it's getting close and - while it's kind of exciting - I want to try to do everything I can to make the outcome a happy one.

Thanks So Much!

ezt

ps - You want to see pics of the old boiler, don't you? We'll see.

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Yes we want pics

Not just of the boiler but the rest of the system as well. Is this a steam or hot-water system?

We have several people here on the Wall who have had good results with Peerless boilers, Including the ECT.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    ect good choice

the peerless ect is usually our boiler of choice when we do oil.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options
    Peerless ECT

I've put in a few over the years and had pretty good results, no real complaints. I'd also check out Burnham's new Megasteam High Efficiency steam boiler. They look to be the most efficient oil steam boiler on the market and are setting a new standard. I think there definitely worth a look.

John

• Steam or Heat? Excellent question.

I hate to say it, but being a heating noob, I really don't know. I have tons of radiators throughout the house, and the furnace holds A LOT of water. So, how do I figure it out?

I'll try to take pics this weekend. I know it sounds weird, but I'm gonna miss that furnace when it's gone. They truly don't make them like that anymore.

No, I mean...they REALLY don't make them like that anymore.

What's the verdict on gas v. oil? It seems to me that - all the gas hype aside - oil blows it away. I'm sure you guys are loaded with opinions.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Best thing to do

is take pics like you said. Get the boiler (NOT a furnace- furnaces are for blown air) the piping around the boiler, and several radiators. Then post them here and the experts will weigh in.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • if Home Depot keep calling

If Home Depot keep calling your BOILER a furnace, you gonna have a problem!
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Fuzzy,

Ridgewood has natural gas.

Not that oil isn't a good thing, but PSE&G has gas and the prices of late are worth comparing. Although not around the corner, Palmer Heating in Clark (exit 135) does steam replacements and as the former owner, know they are straight arrows in a land of suspected wannabes.

(732) 388-1794. Ask for Scott. Tell him Dad sent you. He can answer all the questions, whether or not you use him is entirely up to you.

• > Ridgewood has natural gas.

>

> Not that oil isn't

> a good thing, but PSE&G has gas and the prices of

> late are worth comparing. Although not around

> the corner, Palmer Heating in Clark (exit 135)

> does steam replacements and as the former owner,

> know they are straight arrows in a land of

> suspected wannabes.

>

> (732) 388-1794. Ask for

> Scott. Tell him Dad sent you. He can answer all

> the questions, whether or not you use him is

> entirely up to you.

Thanks for all the help guys! I do appreciate it. Okay, so we have steam...duh. Radiators and the water gague = steam. So, that's good, right?

We just got the asbeestos removal quote today: YIKES! It was a little higher than we thought. Can anyone recommend anyone in the NJ area?

• Thanks for all the help guys! I do appreciate it. Okay, so we have steam...duh. Radiators and the water gague = steam. So, that's good, right?

We just got the asbeestos removal quote today: YIKES! It was a little higher than we thought. Can anyone recommend anyone in the NJ area?

• Thanks for all the help guys! I do appreciate it. Okay, so we have steam...duh. Radiators and the water gague = steam. So, that's good, right?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    is it really necessary

to remove the asbestos? I mean, is someone after you to do it? If not, and it isn't actually crumbly (if it is, get it gone!) I've had very good results with encapsulating it thoroughly. I use a plaster cloth which I get from an art supply outfit...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Options
    ONLY if you cant get Palmer

Give DowlingFuel(Ridgefield Park I believe) a call and ask them to send A guy named Gregg over to size you up. Steam is his thing and his work quality and ethic are A-1. I dare say hes among he best in that area when it comes to steam boiler replacement.Hes the only one I can account for over there so if they try to send you someone else you'd be on your own.By the way, if you do run into him,send him my regards. Hes a class act.
  • Asbestos and Other Stuff

Some of the asbestos is a little crumbly and needs to be gone. Especially in the immediate area of the boiler. So, when the boiler is being removed, the asbestos will most certainly be bothered.

Well, the quote we got for the "immediate area" asbestos removal and the "whole shebang" asbestos removal (which includes lots of piping that is in really good shape) is a $700.00 difference. So, I'm thinking we might as well kiss it all goodbye. The company is D&S Restoration in Paterson, NJ; I've heard they are pretty great.

I will check out Dowling Fuel in RP and ask for Gregg. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get some pics up here today!

• This sure has been a long process, but I guess it's good to do homework.

After delaying the inevitable all summer, the Northeast regions recent touch of chill has re-alerted us to the fact that we've got to get this boiler project done and we've got to get it done now.

If you guys could - either on the forum here or in a private message - let me know if you've all heard good or bad about R.G.M Heating & Cooling in Wayne, NJ?

Also, Acco Contractors in Paterson, NJ for asbestos removal.

Both seem to be very capable in my eyes and their prices are extremely competitive.

Don't worry, those pics might still end up here yet. I just dread going into the basement to look at the beast. Especially now that we're really on a roll.

Thanks So Much For Your Help!
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    Doing all asbestos in an area is a good idea

Considering the cost of mobilizing the contractor for the job..,. it is a good idea to do all the asbestos in the area at once. Then it is gone.

Even if you have to reinsulate - at least you will not have to worry about that area again (and I'd be tempted to do the entire basement).

I used to do whole areas when I was running asbestos removal in power plants. Others thought I was crazy for spending the modest extra $$ and then paying to reinsulate pipes that had "good" asbestos insulation. Then we had a few problems... All the sudden we could instanatly work in areas without worrying about the asbestos.... The look on my managers face when I told him that but for my previous area strip and replacement jobs that the plant would be down for another three to five days... Pricesless.

As far as the boiler goes... I'd stick with the recomended vendors mentioned on this site. We don't know if your oil man really knows what he is doing or not - and too many do it wrong...

Perry (homeowner)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i wouldnt replace it.

instead i would consider keeping it intact right where it is..

the boilers we have these days are a mere glimpse of their former selves *~/:)

having one of those monster size boilers you have a chance in the future to sell your home on the Hysterical society venue ..

my friend just spent an entire year dialing in an older home ,..it is now a bed and breakfast/ museum...with all the old gravity fed rads dialed in... lashed into A Viessmann .
    200 .

it now has insulated floors and walls and low temp rads , mostly because the rad water temp is not 180.:) nowhere close . much of the old Gravity system is still in tact..some of the 120 ' home made gravity rads might have been removed simply because of the requirements of space that they occupied.

The place is a work of art..it probably Looks like it did 80 years ago buh it has all kinds of insulation,Hrv, Make up air , low temp floor wall and low mid temp rads... etc looks very cool.now...
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options
    I get a lot of heat about this but,...

More and more I recommend more than one source of heat. With the savings available by using a quality mod/con for water and some radient and the very small footprint offerd by these units it's an easy sell to add one when and where gas is avalable. And then install a new steam boiler, oil or gas for the upper floors. Just dont mix up the venting! (Recently saw some alc dumping into an oil chimminy that was way oversized)...but the point is you don't need to limit yourself to one heating device because everyone else does it that way!

• This is a wild idea, but the word I'm getting is that my boiler is "rotted." Is it really justifiable to consider this?

I'm a real, "they don't make them like they used to" kinda guy, but that might be overkill, no?

Also, in order to the repairs, we'll probably have to do the asbestos deal anyway...much of which is actually PART of the boiler there...

Kind of a complicated suggestion.

Further, I've had trouble getting in touch with the dealers mentioned in this thread...not a good sign. So, I'm not ignoring them...I'm just getting better replies from other boiler folks that I've contacted.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    based in bergen county

i am based in bergen county and have been reading your post i specialize in steam/hot water replacements for older homes you may contact me at RDEUZA@aol.com if you would like me to take a look at you system and give you an estimate peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Ruth Agrusa
    Ruth Agrusa Member Posts: 1
    Options
    New Burner on old Boiler

We have a 1977 Burnham Hot-Water Boiler, model P7. We wanted to replace it with a high efficiency furnace. Someone suggested just replacing the burner with a more efficient burner. Is that possible? Is that a good idea? What type of furnace repair/replacement company would you call to do this. Thanks
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    Ruth...

It would be best if you started your own thread on this. Most people do not check every thread - and your issues are not what this thread is about (i.e. many people who would otherwise help will not likely see your message in this thread).

Perry
This discussion has been closed.