Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil spill

Ken D.
Ken D. Member Posts: 836
It is not right they get blamed for residue on the railway. In another life, I worked at a huge steel mill. They used to take much of the waste oil- motor, hydraulic, dielectric, etc.- and spread it on the ground to keep the dust down. The good lord only knows what is down there. I would not be surprised if your railroad did the same.

Comments

• Ken D.
    Oil spill

A news item from the local TV News. A mistaken fuel oil delivery resulted in approx 150 gals. of #2 to be pumped on to the basement floor of an apartment house in suburban Phila. The place was converted from oil to gas. The tank was removed, but the fill and vent left in place. I'm sure this is not going to be pleasant for the oil company or the residents. That odor will linger for some time to come, as will the pain of the fines and costs of clean up. The DEP and EPA are involved. Ouch!! This is one of my pet peeves. See it all the time. If you are removing the oil heat and tank, REMOVE THE FILL AND VENT ALSO!!!! There is no excuse for not removing them. The oil driver made a mistake, yes, but if there was no fill, no problem. There oughta be a law. And to you drivers: NO WHISTLE, NO FILL. I feel better.
  • Hey Ken D,,,,,,,,

this is just a "sample" what my neighbor is going through, over an above ground oil-tank leak!

Dave
  • Will_5
    Will_5 Member Posts: 85
    Wow

I hope he always wanted to live in a " High Rise ".

I couldn't resist!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Hate to say this, but....

The guy who did the conversion from oil to gas...and failed to "secure the tank from the possibility" of being filled , and HIS insurance company will be where the fault falls. I hope he was insured...because the bill WILL be astronomical.

If he didn't plug off the fuel oil fill after removing the tank/s, He/THEY are TOTALLY at fault in most juristictions. Chris.
  • Ken D.
    Dave

Incredible how much that clean up will cost. Was the tank indoors or out? Any idea how much leaked? I sympathize with them.
  • Ken D.
    JCA

I hope so. That is the classic definition of a booby trap.
  • Ken D,

The tank was outdoor, and I can only "speculate" on how much leaked, but they "test drilled" on the rail lines about 30Ft. behind his house and he got blamed. Do you think anything would have leaked-off the trains since 1850? There were alot of old removed "rail sidings" too that I remember as a kid, right where this drilling took place. I would "shutter" to think what they would find if they "test drilled" the Brockville Ontario railway tunnel, that goes under our City Hall since 1851.I wonder if it could be "jacked-up"?

Dave
  • Ken D.

Ever heard of the TSSA? In Canada, they`re the Gestapo. Up here, any oil tank is a "ticking time bomb".

Dave
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,037
    Agreed, but

this sort of thing may not be right (I certainly don't think it is!) but, unfortunately, it's the law. Both CERCLA (for EPA) and RCRA (ditto) and most State pollution control laws read that a)anyone who contributes to a spill or contamination event IN ANY AMOUNT (sorry to shout) may be held responsible for the entire cost of cleanup and b)the current property owner may be responsible for the entire cost of the cleanup, regardless of when contamination took place.

Neat, huh? I can't believe that this is constitutional, but given the clout of the agencies and the weepies behind them, I'm sure not going to fight it...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.