Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Backflow prevention

I cited is the NYS residential code and the backflow preventer must comply with ASSE 1012.

I didn't get a clear shot at the product serial number. Its compliance with ASSE 1012 is what I wanted to look up. I'm a lousy photographer.

Thanks for your reply.

Arlene

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=316&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• October Home
    October Home Member Posts: 75
    Is this correct?

I cited this set-up because there wasn't a backflow prevention device between the potable water and the boiler water.

And I cited this NYS Code:
    Residential Code of New York State
    Part VII - Plumbing
    Chapter RP29 Water Supply and Distribution
    §RP2902 Protection of Potable Water Supply
    §RP2902.4.1 Connections to boilers. The potable supply to the boiler shall be equipped with a backflow preventer with an intermediate atmospheric vent complying with ASSE 1012.

The homeowner said that the pressure reducing valve acts as a backflow preventer. I took a photo of the thing so that I could look up its specs but the photo was blurry.

Can you help? Is the reducing valve an adequate backflow prevention device?

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Arlene

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • don_156
    don_156 Member Posts: 87
    No

That is a pressure reducing valve.All tho I think he might be correct that is does act like a checkvalve.

I've seen bfp piped after the prv and they do their job.And
    then I've seen them pipe before the prv and they dont do their job.

The point is he made be right however, its not code and will not pass in my area without a bfp.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    NO

> That is a pressure reducing valve.All tho I think

> he might be correct that is does act like a

> checkvalve.

>

> I've seen bfp piped after the prv

> and they do their job.And then I've seen them

> pipe before the prv and they dont do their

> job.

>

> The point is he made be right however,

> its not code and will not pass in my area without

> a bfp.

• Pressure reducing valves

act as a check , but sometimes they do fail and let water flow the opposite way if the house or street main is shut down . We see it happen from time to time if we close the house main to connect an aquabooster to a coil . When you have hot water that smells funky coming out of the sinks for a while and the boiler pressure drops , you know the PRV is shot .

We use a backflow preventer that does not have a vent . Does NYS code address these type of devices for residential boilers ?
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    ASSE 1012

Arlene,

That's not a certified backflow prevention device & certainly not compliant with ASSE 1012. ASSE 1012 requires the backflow device be a dual-check with atmospheric relief vent & there are specific requirements for the vent piping termination too. Interestingly enough, the ASSE 1012 DCA does not need to be a testable device & requires no annual testing.

Round here, you'd be flagging 99% of the boiler installations we see!(G)

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,271
    NYS Certified Backflow Device Tester # 7250

That is not an approved backflow protection device. It must be a check or double check valve with atmospheric vent.
    Boilers with an input rating of 350,000 BTUs and larger must use a reduced pressure zone (RPZ) backflow preventer.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • October Home
    October Home Member Posts: 75
    Hello David

I recently read an article you wrote where you were arguing for 140°F water heating and anti-scalding devices to kill germs. Good argument.

I believe the ASSE 1013 devices, which should be used when a residential boiler has anti-freeze, requires annual testing.

>>Round here, you'd be flagging 99% of the boiler installations we see!(G)

Sigh. I know. I've got to stop reading so much.

Best regards for the New Year.

Arlene

• JaredM
    JaredM Member Posts: 57
    That Valve

Arlene, That valve is not a back flow preventer but it DOES contain a check valve. Keep in mind that up until a few years ago when NY adopted the International Code (with NYS amendments) you were not required to have a backflow preventer on a residential boiler.

So, it may have conformed to the code at the time it was installed.

Give my regards to the Titanic captain!!

-Jared

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    glycol

changes everything! New rules, as Dennis Miller would say. We install & peform certified tests for hundreds of BFP's and we're one of just two (that I'm aware of in our area) firms certified for confined space entry with the proper tools and test instruments.

That article gets me in more hot water(G)! I look forward to the day when we can affect a change in our nation's plumbing codes.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321

And any boiler that uses a water treatment...
This discussion has been closed.