Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main vent replacement- add others somewhere?

Options
13»

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Yea, I didn't think the Ecobee was recommended for Steam heat because of some limited capabilites but like I said earlier I don't have any experience with that unit. I have the Honeywell 7000 series (predecessor to the 8000 series). I have been happy with it.
  • Fred
    Options
    jch1 said:

Maybe I should rethink my choice of thermostats because the Ecobee only allows you to change the minimum system downtime, not the actual CPH. I know the VisionPRO 8000 gets good reviews on this board. Any other suggestions?

I'm wondering if you change the Minimum System downtime to 30 or 40 minutes if that would give you a similar effect of 1 cycle per hour and give your Mains enough time to cool enough to allow the vents to open between cycles?
  • jch1
    jch1 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, but I fear the temperature swing may be very high if I were to do that. I'll play around with it tonight and report back.

I also have the other LWCO and low pressure gauge en route, so I think I'm well on my way to a solid heating season.
  • Fred
    Options
    If you do that, it should heat your rads more and they should give off some heat for a while longer after the boiler shuts down. the temp swing may not be as bad as you think???
  • jch1
    Options
    The highest setting I can set the Ecobee to is a minimum of 20 minutes between cycles. I have a Honeywell thermostat en route which can be programmed to allow one cycle per hour. I wish you could choose two cycles per hour, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thinking about it, would a 20 minute minimum (Ecobee) be much different than 1 cycle per hour (honeywell)?
  • jch1
    Options
    By that logic, on a 1 hour cycle, the boiler starts and runs for 30 minutes and stops, and restarts 30 minutes later. I assume that Honeywell's algorithm accounts for temperature overshoot (I've read quite a few posts on this topic here) and will probably shut off before the 30 minutes if the current temp is substantially higher than the set point. This would be the case with the Honeywell set to 1CPH.

With my current Ecobee, I have no clue how long the boiler runs for, but I do know that it starts 20 minutes later. I know it' may be impossible to truly answer this question, but does it really seem like I need to/should switch to a steady 1CPH?
  • Fred
    Options
    jch1 said:

The highest setting I can set the Ecobee to is a minimum of 20 minutes between cycles. I have a Honeywell thermostat en route which can be programmed to allow one cycle per hour. I wish you could choose two cycles per hour, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thinking about it, would a 20 minute minimum (Ecobee) be much different than 1 cycle per hour (honeywell)?

With the Honeywell you can select 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 cycles per hour.
  • jch1
    Options
    @Fred, Can you? I purchased the Honeywell RTH8580WF, and the manual (https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-2715ES.pdf) says 1, 3, 5, and 9 are my options. Perhaps I should have gone with a different unit? My main wish was to have wifi to make changes and monitor the temperatures, though really, I'm not that lazy and don't travel enough to necessitate it's inclusion.

@Hatterasguy, I'll try my best to answer your questions:
    1) I think the main venting is adequate. I now have 3 Gorton 2s and will be either installing an additional Hoffman 75 or using it to replace one of the Gorton 2s tomorrow. Before installing it, I will take off one of the Gortons and time how long it takes for steam to get to the opening. I'll also see how long it takes for steam to get to the last rad.

2) HA- This question cannot be answered. On any given day, that difference could be of little consequence, or it may be the end of the world. I can't even begin to try to address that one.

3) I'm not sure of this, and don't know how to calculate it.

4) The boiler is a pretty good match for my system's EDR- perhaps slightly larger. I, and several contractors, measured approximately 360 sq. ft., and went with the Peerless EG 63-04L, rated for 383 sq. ft. Conveniently, I have a 0-3psi pressure gauge en route, so I'll be able to more accurately determine where I'm at.
  • jch1
    Options
    According to the Ecobee's manual, I can adjust the duty cycle anywhere between 0 and 100. I'll have to change this setting to 100%. Also, it does obtain some pretty cool data such as outdoor temperatures and humidity, how long it was on for, the measured temp, and so on. I'm not sure how useful this info is besides for high level monitoring of the system.
  • Fred
    Options
    I have the Honeywell RTH7000 Series and it does have 2CPH. It is intended for HW heat but a lot of guys like the 2 CPH for Steam as well.
  • jch1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just finished installing my LWCO, 0-3 psi gauge, and added a hoffman 75 to the mix. Temperature dropped down to 64, I have it set for 70 upon turning everything back on. It's been on for over an hour now, reading 1.2psi, and up to 69 degrees. Does that sound about right for time to increase temp and for the PSI to increase?

I definitely need to move some of my vents around. I have a combination of hoffman 40s, varivalves, and a few Ventrite #1s will be in tomorrow. I'm going to need to put the vents with the higher flow on the second floor (I know that this isn't necessarily the ideal configuration) to allow the bedroom to actually warm up. It's crazy to think that this is the first time my boiler has actually ran continuously for more than 15 minutes (due to the LWCO's "feature." My water levels never dropped below 1.5 inches from the fill line, so I must have done a decent job skimming. The room with the boiler definitely smells/feels like it was getting in a good workout. Fun times!
  • jch1
    Options
    A quick question- how long do the better-quality vents last? I'm also going to pick up some Gorton 5, 6, and Cs.
  • jch1
    Options
    Sorry about the swarm of posts, but it looked like I got up to 2.3ish psi just as I hit the desired temp. I have my pressuretrol set up properly (0.5 & 1), so shouldn't it be shutting off near 1.5psi?
  • Captain Who
    Captain Who Member Posts: 452
    Options
    Yeah it SHOULD. Mine is set the same as yours, but cuts out around 1.7 on the first pressuretrol cycle and varies between 1.7 and 2 on subsequent ones. 3 days ago (1/6/15) it did 9 pressuretrol cycles to recover from a 8 deg setback and the burner was on a total of 45:37 for a 1:07:49 duration tstat call. It was 19 F outside with a wind chill of 12 F.
  • Fred
    Options
    jch1 said:

A quick question- how long do the better-quality vents last? I'm also going to pick up some Gorton 5, 6, and Cs.

- I have Hoffmans that are 10 to 15 years old and still going fine. The Gortons will last similarly, I don't have any experience with Ventrites. Seen mixed reviews on this site. Hoffman 75's and Gorton Main vents will last for years also. Most can be soaked in vinegar if they start to stick. Life probably has a lot to do with keeping the pressure down, water quality/mineral content.
    Boiler running for an hour/hour and a half to bring the house up 6 degrees is pretty typical (especially if its cold outside). Running that long without reaching pressure Cut-out is really good.
  • jch1
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm thinking I may dump these varivalves and get a few more ventrites for the low end and gortons for the high end. It seems like the only way you can see if the pressuretrol is "working" is by having the boiler run for a long period of time.

I can't help but question how much the cycleguard's intermittent level test was hurting the overall efficiency.
  • Fred
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Keep in mind a Pressuretrol and/or a vaporstat are there mostly as a safety device to ensure the boiler shuts down at some reasonable pressure. They are not 100% accurate and you don't want a 6 degree recovery as a regular practice. Short cycling may occur if the boiler is over-sized and/or it is extremely cold outside.
    You do have to run the boiler for an extended period to really test the Pressuretrol.
    I posted a procedure a few months ago to adjust the accuracy of the Pressuretol but you will have to make the adjustment and run the boiler to determine how close you are to the desired setting. It is posted below.
    After I got my Pressuretrol adjusted, I ended up putting a Vaporstat on my boiler as well just to get the operating pressure down even further on those occassions when it is really cold outside (like this past week here in Ohio where we've had a few nights with the wind chills down in the -20 to -30 degree range). My Vaporstat cut-in is 4 oz. and Cut out is 12 oz. Oddly enough, and contrary to what you might think, with adequate Main venting, it doesn't short cycle any more than the Pressuretrol did at higher pressures.
    Calibrating a Pressuretrol
    Inside the Pressuretrol, right below the micro switch, there is a pivot arm. At the end of that arm you will see a screw pin that is activated by the diaphragm at the bottom of the Pressuretrol. If you look very carefully at that screw pin, you will see it actually has a tiny (I mean tiny) hex head on it. It takes a .050 hex wrench and you can turn it clockwise (Towards the bottom of the Pressuretrol to decrease the Cut-out pressure or counter clockwise to increase the cut-out pressure (which none of us want to do but who knows, your Pressuretrol may be really screwed up!). Turn the power to the unit off first. You may find the first attempt to turn that screw a little bit stubborn (relatively speaking) because it has some Locktite on it but it does turn. Don't turn too much, a fraction of a turn goes a long way towards getting it adjusted where you want it (maybe 1/32 inch turn to start with). You may need to play with it to get it exactly where you want cut out to be.
  • jch1
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that my main venting is adequate- I have 3 Gorton 2s and a Hoffman 75 now.

I'm still getting extremely loud air intake from one of the radiator vents with the varivalve on it after the cycle is done. Is this common? I think I read someone else having this "issue" recently.
  • Captain Who
    Options
    My radiators with varivalves will inhale loudly at some point after a recovery cycle. It takes a while for the radiator to cool enough for them to open but it is almost like a vacuum in the radiator gets suddenly relieved (or prevented). I believe that is normal under those circumstances. The suddenness and loudness of it is pretty strange sometimes.
  • wmtandson
    wmtandson Member Posts: 62
    Options

Lots of people have less than optimal water chemistry (causes foaming) and near boiler piping due to incompetent installers (causes tilting of waterline). Until everything is set up to be right, which can be prohibitively expensive for some folks in the near term it is a nice feature to have the extra protection. For example (especially with inadequately sized near boiler piping and main venting), the waterline can tilt greatly while steaming giving a falsely high waterline at the probe and sight glass.

My instructions are annoying (24V CG400 CycleGard) in the respect that they say: "This feature enables a full burner run cycle (10 or 20 minutes, depending on model) prior to the first Intermittent Level Test." I mean which is it???

Unfortunately in my model they had the circuitry built to be 10m and I'd really like to try to mod it to be at 20m or even 15m like you said. That way it wouldn't be doing this under steady state conditions during the day, but it would still do one or two shut downs during recovery from a heavy setback. It's only a 90 sec shutdown and that I can deal with as a minor inconvenience that may have some safety benefits.

I,ve seen this off cycle cause wait times(extended) for heat to reach upper floors.
    Also I always worried about wear and tear on functional parts of the system always opening and closing every 10 min
  • Captain Who
    Options
    @wmtandson - I agree that it is annoying and I'm concerned about the wear and tear as well.

The wait time may or not be significant. In my case it is 90 sec + 13 sec for the damper to close. If you have the 60 sec model it is better.

Do you have the SmartCycle feature enabled? With it enabled my boiler shuts down for the brief test 10 m after the burn begins. There is a 13 sec delay from tstat call initiation for the burn to begin because of the flue damper. I don't have a pressure gauge that measures fractions of an ounce of pressure, but sometimes I wonder if the delay doesn't increase efficiency if it shuts down after steam has started to build a little pressure. That's what a vaporstat would've done if I had one and had it set super low. The 20 m model would be so much better.

Having said all that, I really do want to disable the intermittent test feature.
  • jch1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @CaptainWho I wish you could disable the feature. I just went and purchased a completely new LWCO without it haha.
  • Captain Who
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @‌ Hatterasguy -

Having said all that, I really do want to disable the intermittent test feature.

You're misrepresenting me. If I "seem to prefer the feature" why the heck would I want to disable it........?? Also, I said previously that I have already bought two of these things since I had to buy a 24V CycleGard 8 yrs or so ago (I don't think they had SafGard then) and have a brand new 120V CycleGard sitting on a shelf.

It's more an issue of not wanting to give Hydrolevel a total of $480 of my money, which would be about what it'd be if I went out and bought a 3rd unit from them. I will figure out how to hack it and disable the Intermittent test feature. I'm sure it is not difficult.

• Captain Who
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nope, mainly trying to make sure everybody who is suffering with it like me knows about the SmartCycle feature. Enabling that minimizes the suffering. If I had the 60 sec, 20min model instead of the 90 sec, 10 min one I might not even bother with hacking it because my tstat calls since I switched from the 0.6 F setting to the 1.2 F setting have all been more than 10 min but less than 20 m except for the recovery period and every time the burner fires it resets the countdown for the intermittent check to 20 min, ie. it never interrupts a burn, most likely. As it stands now, every darn one of my burns is getting interrupted for a check.

Perhaps the SafGard does predate the CycleGard. I don't really know. When I bought this house 10 yrs ago it was the first time I had ever lived in a house with steam (except a little while when I was a baby lol) and I assumed that if the manufacturer put the CycleGard on maybe I had better stick with it. I was early on in the learning curve and was dealing with LOTS of problems due to an incompetent installer hired by the previous owner.

We should start a "hack the CycleGard" thread where people who have the CycleGard could post a picture of their circuit board. It might be possible to modify the timing for people who have the 90 sec, 10 min model ( like me ), so they could change it over to the 60 sec, 20 min model. It might be as simple as changing the value of a resistor, capacitor, or the position of a Din switch.
  • Captain Who
    Options
    That's very generous of you. I think I can only use the 24V model though, because even though you or somebody pointed out the trick with the jumper position, I believe I can't use the SmartCycle feature on a 120V CycleGard if I don't have a 120V burner valve. Mine's 24V nat gas.
  • jch1
    Options
    I can also take some pictures of the SafGard and CycleGard if that may assist.
  • Captain Who
    Options
    It would help to see if the same chip #'s are used. I'm pretty sure it is a different circuit board. Yes it would be interesting. I'm mainly interested in the difference between circuitry for CG400(and450)-1090 and CG400(and 450)-2060.
  • jch1
    Options
    As someone who practices law, before posting these pictures, I have to say that they are for informational purposes only and I strongly recommend anybody viewing them to consult with a professional regarding modifying their LWCO.

With that being said, I also happen to have a mechanical engineering degree. Upon comparing the two units, it's at least partially clear what is controlling the level test- the appropriately-named "Low Water Cutoff/Foam Interrupt" resistor on the left side of the unit. I believe it is a 1500 ohm resistor. I have the CG 450-1560. Also, near the top right of the board is a 8 pin DIP labeled CYCLE.

• Captain Who
    Options
    I will try to post a picture of my CycleGard innards soon. Uh oh ......are we hijacking this thread. Too late :) Are you sure that is a DIP switch. I was thinking it looks like a 555 timer chip (just guessing).
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    If it's a 555 chip you need good low leakage caps and even then getting more than 10 minutes is not always possible. Using a cmos 555 makes it easier, but a digital timer (cd4060) would be easier and more repeatable.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jch1
    Options
    I'll defer to the experts on that one. I have no idea what it is.
  • Captain Who
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @BobC - I didn't know what a cd4060 chip was so I looked it up and it looks like it has 16 pins:

http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/cd4060-timer-circuit-1-minute-to-2-hours

That'd work but maybe they didn't use that. It would have been easy to make it user adjustable if they had wished to do so. A 555 timer chip does have 8 pins though:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm555.pdf
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I was trying to say that if they are using a 555 they might have been better off using something like a 4060. My life has been almost all analog electronics but even an old horse can see his way to using digital circuits for some things.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Captain Who
    Options
    It turns out that it is a Microchip 8pin, 8bit CMOS Microcontroller 12C508A:

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets2/16/1643295_1.pdf