Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin Error Code F09

tdkeck
tdkeck Member Posts: 1
I have been getting an occasional error code (F09) on my Munchkin Contender gas fire boiler.   When the error comes in, I have to reset the unit.  Sometimes this takes 2 or 3 resets before it starts working again.   I have spent too much money calling out technicians to repair this unit, so I want to fix this my self.   Can someone help me solve this error?   I believe it is related to the flame sensor. 

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,611
    This is a very frequent code on

Munchkins. This will occur after three attempts to light and then it goes into a one hour soft lockout.

Yes it is an indication that the control does not detect a flame. There are a number of things that will cause this however:

1. Do you have gas?

2. What is the inlet and outlet gas pressure to the gas valve?

3. Make sure the flame rod is clean and not damaged. It can be cleaned with a soft clean emory cloth.

4. Has the unit itself had annual cleanings?

5. Make sure the flue is not blocked.

6. Make sure the condensate line is clear and flowing.

I do not recommend attempting to make repairs unless you are a professional.
  • Tim McElwain
    This is a very frequent code on

Munchkins. This will occur after three attempts to light and then it goes into a one hour soft lockout.

Yes it is an indication that the control does not detect a flame. There are a number of things that will cause this however:

1. Do you have gas?

2. What is the inlet and outlet gas pressure to the gas valve?

3. Make sure the flame rod is clean and not damaged. It can be cleaned with a soft clean emory cloth.

4. Has the unit itself had annual cleanings?

5. Make sure the flue is not blocked.

6. Make sure the condensate line is clear and flowing.

I do not recommend attempting to make repairs unless you are a professional.
  • Tim McElwain
    Sorry for the double posting

a little computer/internet glitch.
  • Unit44
    Unit44 Member Posts: 2
    Unit44

In my experience with munchkin boilers and this paticular fault it is usually just a minor adjustment fo the highfire screw on the gas valvle to just to add a bit more gas.  If you check your combustion readings and the CO reading is lower than 100ppm then you need to add more gas to this burner.  If you do not have a combustion analysier than do not attempt to adjust this valve or make any modifications to this boiler.  A good reading to have is about 100ppm to 125ppm and the boiler will run good in warm and cold wheather.  Also when you make an adjustment to this gas vavle it is a needle valve so rember it is oppsite of a normal valve and you do not need to turn it very far to make drastic changes in the CO reading.
  • Tim McElwain
    Unit 44

I did not want to pass that info on to a homeowner as that is not something they should be adjusting.
    unclejohn
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Good clean ground

This fall I learned about how the flame rectification probe actually works.  I had a unit that there was some corrosion about the base of the burner.  This is how the flame rod is grounded.  While inspecting the combustion chamber, check the burner and it contact to combustion chamber...it just may need cleaned.  I agree with McElwin, you should have a professional maintain and clean the unit.  You should have an annual maintenance agreement with them too.  This is proactive instead of reactive. 

Good luck

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Tony52
    Tony52 Member Posts: 1
    Fult Code Pro

What does fault code pro mean when it comes on your screen?
  • Tim McElwain
    Sorry Tony I just

got wind of this posting. Answer PRO will appear if the Water Pressure Switch is open for more than 5 seconds. The unit will not be allowed to operate while this code is on display.

Remedy - Check the water pressure in the system (12 to 15 PSI pressure). Make sure the pressure is at least 10 PSI. Check all the electrical connections to the switch. If the switch still does not close, have a technician try adjusting the switch with a screw driver  and turn the screw in the center of the switch counterclockwise to close the switch. If the switch still does not close with a minimum supply pressure of 10 PSI, then have the switch replaced.

Hope that helps.
  • rasco
    rasco Member Posts: 5
    I had the same f09 and had a boiler tech come for 3 plus hours and was on the line with tech support and they couldn't find anything so decided that it was a cracked air intake and would need to replace the whole boiler. There is no way to check that outside of replacing it. My cousin suggested I check the swirl plate and it was broken and the fan blades were destroyed which is a common failure with these boilers apparently. So gonna try a 30 dollar part rather than a 3000 dollar boiler...
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,418
    edited October 2019
    Rasco, swirl fan breakage (deterioration) is most often caused by exhaust gases re-entering the boiler thru the fresh air intake. Concentric venting is very problematic.

What is F09 error code has been covered by other commentators. The rectification current passes thru the flame from the rectification probe to the ground. If the grounding is loose or not connecting then you will get a F09 error code.

Check the burner tube and make sure it is clean where it attaches to the burner door and the screws holding the air/gas channel to the burner door are tight. May have to replace the burner tube gasket.

Don't fool with the combustion by messing with the gas valve without a combustion analyzer. You could easily move to the wrong side of the combustion curve.

F09
    No flame detected –The heater will make three attempts at ignition before the control goes into this lockout condition.
    1. Watch the igniter through the observation window provided.2. If there is no spark, check the spark electrode for the proper ¼” gap by holding two quarters together and sliding them through the gap.3. Remove any corrosion from the spark electrode and flame rectifier probe.4. If there is a spark but no flame, check the gas supply to the heater.5. If there is a flame, check the flame sensor. 6. Check any flue blockage or condensate blocks.

C. STATUS MENU Installers are also able to check the current status of heater parameters by pressing {S4} for 3 seconds. Once activated, the display will show |d1|alternating value of the actual outlet temperature. Actual values are displayed for each function. To view the next value, press {S4} to go to the next displayed value. Read the manual for the values which can be displayed. These values cannot be changed. To exit this menu, simply press {S3} to resume normal operation. Check d7, the rectification current. It should be as close to 4 mico amps. If it is too low and the probe is clean look for a loose connection in the circuit.

Clean the rectification probe with wet and dry sandpaper not emery cloth as it leaves a residue on the probe.