Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas main union leak

Options
Xmytruck
Xmytruck Member Posts: 85
edited October 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello
What would make a gas union leak every year? I have had my gas service installed about three years ago and the gas company has already been out at least six times. It does not leak during the summer months just during the heating season. Could the combo boiler navien ch240 cause this issue?

Thx

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Surely, this must be a piping problem with some joint not properly connected. Was a soap-bubble test performed, which would show a badly installed joint?
    When they came out 6 times, did they show you where the problem was?
    How did you know there was a problem, needing to summon them? Every problem has a solution.--NBC
    Xmytruck
  • Xmytruck
    Options
    Well yes each time they would performed a bubble test and the issue was gas union before the meter. Sometimes it leaked on the top or bottom. But must of the time right in the middle of the union. How did I know there was an issue was either I would cleaning the yard or hanging Xmas lights and I would get a whiff a gas. This time i was sweeping the front stairs and caught a whiff and performed the bubble test and it was leaking in middle of the union.
    Thx.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Six times? And they are making the same connection each time? Unions are frowned upon as gas connection anyway. The definition of stupidity is, " Doing the same thing the same way, and expecting a different outcome".
    Xmytruck
  • Xmytruck
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Total agreed I am dumbfound on how to proceed to get this issue resolved. They are tightening the same connection, perhaps I am using the wrong term to describe the connection . It is the union that has the shutoff value that connects to the main pipe. My plumber called it a union so I am assuming that is correct the term.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Often times gas meters have swivel unions on top of the meter. Those unions have washers inside that eventually go bad.
    Some utility workers will try to over tighten the washer rather than check the washer and replace it.
    You might watch them next time they come and "fix" the leak.
    Post a pic of the leaky union if you want to know what type it is.
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    RobG
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Options
    Hi- I don't know where you are located but wondered if frost heaving is an issue. Only during heating season? Hmm. Been there ,seen that
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Have they ever replaced the fitting or did they just tighten it up? As Carl said, please post a picture. That is not normal.

Rob
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    That type of connection is a typical meter connection. I'd call, and see how high up the ladder you can get. If they are just "re-tightening" the same fitting over and over, expect it to leak again.Write down the name(s) of whomever the operator tells you is in charge. If you don't get any satisfaction, send them a registered letter that details the problem and your concerns for the safety of your family. As my wife always says,"Get everybodies name", even the operators.
  • Xmytruck
    Options
    null

So they have never replace the fitting I've asked them to but they just keep tighten it up
  • Xmytruck
    Options
    bill said:

Hi- I don't know where you are located but wondered if frost heaving is an issue. Only during heating season? Hmm. Been there ,seen that

Hello
    My gut is telling me that is that issue the house does expand during the winter months my closet door on the same side as the meter will close during the summer but not the winter.

If it is frost heave what is the solution to fix the issue? I am assuming when the pull the service they survey the ground to make sure it is a suitable land or do they just pull and hope for the best?
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Is this connection inside or outside of the house? Is it in a location that snow or ice could slide off the roof and hit the piping? That could be the cause I have seen this on jobs before where snow and ice hit the meter fits and cause leaks.
  • Xmytruck
    Options

Is this connection inside or outside of the house? Is it in a location that snow or ice could slide off the roof and hit the piping? That could be the cause I have seen this on jobs before where snow and ice hit the meter fits and cause leaks.

Outside, I make sure there is no snow or ice above the meter, love my roof rake :D .
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Have you ever watched the union being serviced? Is there a gasket/washer inside?

If it is a ground joint union, do they use anything like Rectorseal #5 on the face of the union?

I have run into situations (often) where the nut and face part of the union were swapped with another manufacturers union valve. That is a specific fitting with the plug valve shut-off. Sometimes, a union nut and face part become orphaned and someone borrows one from another fitting, not knowing that the union faces don't match. The Union Nut doesn't look wide enough for a gasket.

They should replace the whole fitting, valve and Union both.

They're probably lazy. Unless there is another shut-off between that shut-off and the street that is exposed, they are probably too lazy to get out their Earth Guitars and dig it up. Either that, or they have to hire a private contractor to dig for it and call Dig Safe so someone doesn't cut off any rubber roots.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    is union on house side or street side of meter?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Insist that the gas company replace that union. It is a dielectric union used on gas piping by the utility and they tend to leak when they get old. Tightening does not solve the problem.
  • Xmytruck
    Options

is union on house side or street side of meter?

street side of the meter
  • Xmytruck
    Options

Insist that the gas company replace that union. It is a dielectric union used on gas piping by the utility and they tend to leak when they get old. Tightening does not solve the problem.

I will, I did last time and they just tighten it. The funny thing is that it is only 3 years old. It has leaked from the first day they installed the service. I converted from oil to gas, wish I stayed with oil.
    If you standing a foot from the meter you do not smell the gas you really need to get close to it. The only way I discover it was I though I got a whiff of gas and decided to do the bubble test.
  • icesailor
    Options
    I may be wrong, but those dialectic unions have a gasket in them.

When turning on houses in the Spring, I used to check the dialectic unions on LP gas services on underground tanks. Any that were more than 5 years old, were usually leaking.

I never saw a standard ground joint union leak. I saw a lot of dialectic unions leaking. Must be planned obsolescence.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Insist the gas company replace the valve/union. If they refuse, call the state commission that regulates that utility and complain. I had to call my state commission to get the utility to locate a gas leak in a street line that had been leaking for 5 years. Gas company would come out and insist that the gas leak was negligible. After calling the commission, they came out and dug everything up and did the repair.
  • icesailor
    Options
    All gas leaks in the street are negligible. Until there is an explosion and someone gets hurt. Then, they look for some Peon to blame.

There was a serious gas explosion in Springfield, MA a few years ago. There was some old mini-strip mall and they had been smelling gas for some period of time. They thought that all the orphaned gas connections from previous properties had been capped and abandoned. According to a map. So, they sent someone out there after Dig Safe marked everything. So some employee is sent out to look for the source of the smell. With a metal probe. He probed around and didn't find anything. But the probe found an old, rotten abandoned gas service pipe that the probe went through like it was beach sand. The gas leaked through the ground and into the building. Then, went BOOM. Many were injured. Last I knew, they blamed the guy with the probe. Because he didn't realize that he had poked through a rotten steel gas pipe.

I had one of those types of probes. With the replaceable tips. I couldn't poke it through a decent steel gas pipe if my life depended on it. I could ram my way through a length of 6" VC Clay pipe.

Low bid didn't do their job again. Or the Utility took a chance and lost. Except they have an employee they can blame it on.

As I understand it.
  • Xmytruck
    Options
    So I can not really smell the gas but it does bubble when I put soap and water on it. Should I wait or just call?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Call. The gas utility is one arrogant entity. Hopefully your next call will produce a person that cares.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Sounds like Comcast Cablevision. Once you get them, you go through an interrogation again. Then, they make an appointment where you MUST be there. You wait and they never show up for days. You call them and they tell you that you(I) wasn't there.

They know that there is a problem with a cable in the ground, they just don't want to fix it.