Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dielectric fittings in Hydronics copper to black

YvonneB
YvonneB Member Posts: 14
I am presented with my newest "promotion" to outside sales for a local Wholesaler.  This question was posed to me today.. again.  Before my wholesale career I was an installer for 20 years.  I never used dielectric unions in a closed loop system with the proper tubing installed.  Does anyone "Dan" have anything in writing!!!!

I have a large customer that has a new employee who was taught like me and is trying save the company lots of $$$ on a project.  All I have to do is show it to them in writing of an official document or training book!!

All help is appreciated! <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-reply/1312417/Does-anyone-have-anything-in-writing">Reply</a> <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-edit-post/1312417/Does-anyone-have-anything-in-writing">Edit</a>

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Code

It may depend on the code that your jurisdiction has adopted. Our state uses the "international" code and it requires them. I'd recommend you contact your local inspector and ask for the code reference.

Personally, I try to avoid them and use yellow brass instead which the code allows. I've never had a problem with brass, but I've seen and heard of many issues with dielectric unions.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    I've never heard of a problem within a closed system.

But then if the code says to install paper pipes, paper pipes are what should be installed. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • YvonneB
    Thanks Dan

Thanks Dan.. glad to hear from you!  We will have to catch up sometime.  I am header to the airport for a factory visit.

Have a great day!

Yvonne Burch
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Safe travels, my friend!

Thanks for stopping by. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    why not?

You have to connect some way so why not by the book? While on the subject why not add a little water treatment?
  • Steamfitter66
    Steamfitter66 Member Posts: 117
    because

they cause way more trouble than they prevent.

1 stray current and bonding issues

2 cheap rubber gaskets deteriorate quickly at elevated hydronic heating temps.

3 additional joints to leak.

Red brass would be best, Most yellow brass is of poor quality at least here.
  • YvonneB
    Mechanical Code

Hello All,

Just to follow up, I have contacts in the Mechanical Code group, there is nothing pertaining to dielectric between dissimilar metals in the system.  Again, this is a practice that I personally followed for 20 years in San Francisco, Marin and Sonoma counties and never had an issue.  Yes, our company did and still does maintenance annually as called out in the Mechanical Code.

Thanks again for all your input... until next time!

Have a great Holiday Season!!!

Yvonne Burch
  • Steamfitter66
    Engineering is generally the root

Usually speced by a young PE wanna be. Or by a lack of understanding of electrolysis, and or grounding and bonding.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    old engineer

Well I'm an old engineer.The question is how long will HW heating system not leak when ferrous and cuprous are joined? Bronze & CI may be okay but copper soldered to steel?
  • YvonneB
    No steel

Steel should never be used in a closed loop system period.
  • Steamfitter66
    I spent 5 years

Working at a large university where I was one of 6 in house pipefitters. We had many buildings with 5 to 100 year old piping systems that in places had copper to steel connections that gave much less problems than the several 5 to 10 year old buildings that had dielectrics.

We had bod central steam and chilled water plants as well as some unitary equipment I have never seen electrolysis on steel to copper connection in a closed system. We had chilled, hot water, high and low pressure steam, high and low pressure condensate, etc.

Open systems yes.
This discussion has been closed.