Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One temp for all?

Will you pay the pro to go there to get it right? Will you have a 5k light fixture in the place?

Comments

• Gene Davis_2
    Gene Davis_2 Member Posts: 71
    In-slab downstairs, baseboards up

We want to heat the downstairs of a two-floor house, the downstairs being walkout basement on insulated concrete slab.

The upstairs heating will be baseboards.

Is there one water temp that can run both down and up?
  • Uni R_3
    Uni R_3 Member Posts: 299
    What does your heating contractor say?

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    temps

A thermostatic mixing valve, pump and relay would cost less. Sounds like you're really at bottom dollar on this place, Gene. I assume the kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures will be equally inexpensive.
  • Uni R_3
    Where's your heating subcontractor these days?

In your first post, you mentioned you already have a heating subcontractor for this spec project.

Why aren't you asking them?
  • Gene Davis_2
    Gene Davis_2 Member Posts: 71

You've absolutely no idea how little we have for resources where this project will be built.

No idea.

There are no heating contractors available to us at all, with any capabilities for doing anything other than a very basic and cheap system.

The only pro that does anything in this outlying backwater of a place where our project will be, works alone, has no resources, and has never even heard of a mod-con boiler.

We know quality. The last project we did was done by a real pro outfit, and a WM Ultra was used, all Tekmar stuff for controls, infloor, underfloor, shower walls and tubdecks done, Runtal towelwarmers, Runtal bench, Runtal baseboard where supplemental was needed, etc.

But these guys won't go to the backwater, and I don't want to trouble them with this project.

If I could post photos here and show you what kind of schlock work exists in the brand new spec homes that are selling in this new community, you would gag. WM WGO, no resets, nothing. And the houses sell before the foundations are done.

I thought this was called heating help dot com. All I am getting is flames from you big city pros that do higher end work than what this project can stand.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    cost difference

gene, what is your cost difference between a cast iron boiler and a modulating condensing boiler system?

have you really priced out total cost of both systems?

• Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Cost or Value?

If you plan on running a single temperature to two completely different emitter types, they had better be adjusted in length or density for the intended water temperature.

However, this is like driving by looking in the rear-view mirror. I do not know anyone who can efficiently calculate that or would want to when designing it correctly is so much easier.

Forget cost- you are saving pennies and defeating value IMHO. The occupants will have something to complain about, why design it in?

My $0.02

Brad
  • Brad White_9
    Uh, Gene....

Nothing big city about us. Andrew is from Montana, I am from Massachusetts, UniR is from some place north of here where maple syrup is the national drink and hockey is a season not a sport. JP is from Neptune I think :) We have you covered from Alaska to New Zealand too.

Anyway, no one is flaming you but trying to maintain the value of your project. If your marketing dictates you want quality but there is no one to build it, who then will buy it?

I mean, lack of resources really means to me anyway, that this might not be the right project for that place.

The other part is, a few questions is fine as is bouncing off ideas and all. But it seems you want us to do your heat losses for you, size boilers and essentially give design services when the resources are here for self-help.

We are intending to be helpful but as God said to the man who pleaded for him to win the lottery: "Meet me halfway- Buy a ticket!"
  • ALH_4
    simple or cheap

It sounds as if there is a lot of money floating around in this backwoods place with no heating contractors. If the places are selling that fast, does that not mean the market would bear a higher price?

Whether you use a condensing boiler, cast iron boiler, or combination water heater, the outdoor reset controls are the most obvious to the home owner by providing better comfort. Unfortunately most will not realize that until after the fact.

If it were me, I would rather see the combination water heater than a cast iron boiler of similar efficiency and an electric water heater. There is simple and then there is cheap. Simple can be ok, cheap is never ok.

Please insulate with something more than fiberglass batts. If the heating system cannot be efficient, at least make the home efficient.
  • ALH_4
    city slicker

But I do live in the capital of Montana...population 26,000. ;-)

...with liberty and one temp for all.
  • Uni R_3
    Gene

I'm not a pro - not at all!

I just feel that the corners you are cutting on this are absolutely wrong and I'm trying to help whoever ends up living in that house. That's my take on this being HeatingHelp.
  • Brad White_9
    My high school was bigger

than Helena.

Our cattle drives, however, left a lot to be desired. But at least our cows are sane :)
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    News from Neptune!

Gene, we are willing to help. but..... you've come off with some real negetive vibes you may not know you are sending!!!

added: "Help" giving directions, not doing Your homework!

if there is no one to service such a system, why install it?

I tried to cut corners to install radiant 'everyone' could afford. then when I had to make changes I realized what I thought were bells & whistles, where cost effective basic stuff. like the rehau balancing manifolds, expensive at first glance, cost effective when I had to drain the whole system because I couldn't isolate what I wanted to isolate!! and oh so simple to purge the system, saved me lots of work, also looks more professional.

hopefully you are spending more time here just reading threads, like the "whats your boiler temp this morning?" thread. cast iron boilers look like they are going to fade away like cassette tapes & VCR's.

I can cut corners and make common pine 1x4's look like fine trim, but I suggest mod/cons for heating plants.

ps township population, 2750.
This discussion has been closed.