Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Possible electrolisis

Are these coil setup to stay pressurize in the off cycle or
are they setup as a bleed down?

Comments

• HWK
    HWK Member Posts: 5
    PIN HOLES IN PIPING

I HAVE A CLOSED LOOP WATER SOURCE HEAT PUMP SYSTEM USING GEOTHERMAL. EXCEPT FOR THE WELLS THE ENTIRE LOOP IS PVC
    EXCEPT AT THE INDIVIDUAL HEAT PUMP CONNECTIONS WHERE WE USE HOSE KITS MADE OF IRON NOT PVC.AT THESE NIPPLE CONNECTIONS IS WHERE WE ARE FINDING PIN HOLES IN THE NIPPLES. WHAT IS CAUSING THESE PIN HOLES. AND WHAT CAN BE DONE TO PREVENT FUTURE PINHOLES ? THANK YOU
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Electrolysis

Interesting if this is electrolysis that it is, I gather, occuring not at two dis-similar metals but at iron and a relative isolator (PVC). Is that the case?

If it is electrolysis and there is only one metal in the mix, I can only suspect that the water is acting as a ground (I mean, ground source... major ground here...) in addition to being the electrolyte. Getting out of my depth here, I freely admit.

The nipples in question are made of iron? Open system or closed loop? Are the hose kits brass? Just trying to get the entire picture here.

If indeed it is electrolysis, you need to isolate the less noble metal and provide some sacrificial anode, something more anodic than the iron, such as magnesium.

I would check for stray current too while you are at it. A ground fault/short will find a path.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Marty
    Marty Member Posts: 109
    brass

Is it really a closed loop or a pump and dump ?, brass nipples if its not a true closed loop.
  • HWK
    HWK Member Posts: 5
    ELECTROLOS

IN RESPONSE TO THE RESPONSES FROM THE 29TH
    IT DOES REMAIN PRSSURIZED AT ALL TIMES
    AND YES IT IS TRULY A TIGHT CLOSED LOOP WATER SOURCE HEAT PUMP SYSTEM.

HOW CAN I PREVENT FUTURE PINHOLES IF THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED ELECTRICALLY? GROUND WIRE EACH HEAT PUMP?
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Please clarify

The holes you are referring to can occur on open loop heat pump systems. You mention that there are wells on this system, which implies that the system is indeed an open loop system. If indeed the system is open loop, I would definitely recommend having a water sample taken and evaluated by a water treatment company.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    grounding?

aren't the heat pumps already grounded? they should be grounded through the main ele panel.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207

Another possibility would be some kind of fault in the house wiring or AC panel. Could have something grounded to a water pipe which induces current flow through the boiler piping.

Can't beat a well with water for a ground system.
  • don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    What about flow

Would excessive flow cause this problem as well?

It seem all to often I go to wta equipment and the well pump are shortcycling on pressure switch with only one zone calling.
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Not if there's a...

Not if there is a pressure tank.

• B KOLBERG
    B KOLBERG Member Posts: 1
    ELECTR

IT IS DEFFINETLY A CLOSED SYSTEM
    THE WELLS SOMEONE REFERED TO ARE GROUND WELLS WTH A HEAT EXCHANGER . DOES EACH HEAT PUMP AT ITS PIPE CONNECTION NEED A GROUND WIRE TO A GROUNDED SPOT?
This discussion has been closed.