Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator

Joe Mattiello
Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
I think this should be handled by the hydronic guru himself Dan Holahan. This is a classic question that can be answered by simply reading the cover of his famous book "Pumping away". That is the most important part of circulator placement and not supply, or return. Looking forward to seminar in NY June 27th Dan

Joe Mattiello
Joe Mattiello
N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
Taco Comfort Solutions

Comments

• Harry Sanichra
    Harry Sanichra Member Posts: 33
    Circulator

Where is the best place to put the circulator pump (lead or return)also i have a triple Aquastat how do i get it to come on when the termostat comes on.
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    placement

The best place to put a circ is on the supply side of the boiler pumping out to the system, just make sure your expansion tank is on the suction side of the system (pump). As far as the aquastst goes, there should be a c1 and a c2 terminasl there, so wire the black wirte of the circ to c1 and white wire to cs and when the thermostat calles for heat the circ will cycle and the boiler will too
  • Harry Sanichra
    Circulator

I have my expansion tank on the feeding side of the systme do i need to change it to the return side
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Tank

Tank needs to be placed on the suction side of the pump. Perferably on the supply of the boiler.
  • Michal
    would be the right way

Well I will be honest, as good practice and the right way, it should be on the suction side of the circulator, regardles if its pumpint to or from the boiler, if its a ton of piping to change well you can let it go, but The right way, yes its should be on suction side. They are installed all over america both ways, do they work? yes. so the call is yours.
  • Harry Sanichra
    I am geting there

When you mean suction side of the pump what you mean thia is how my system is layed out my circulator is about 10' from the boiler bottom then my expansion tank is about 3"away from that is that a good lay out
  • Michal
    take a pic

look at the circulator, there is a arrow, one side is suction, one side is supply out, the tank should be on the suction side, but like I said, it will work on either side, but the right way is on the suction side. Its really not a detrimental thing if you leave it as is
  • Harry Sanichra
    Arrow from circulator

I am puting my circulator on the feedind side of my boiler the water is pushing up where should the arrow point to from the circulator i have a B&G 100 Series
  • Empire_2
    Away from the boiler

Arrow should point away from the boiler if you are on the supply side. I wish I could make a diagram for you.
  • Michal
    here is a general diagram

here is a generic diagram from Burnham of how its done, yours should be similar.
  • Empire_2
    And this one to

General diagram.
This discussion has been closed.