Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump Technology

Options
They have a water to water module that will be perfect for radiant.

www.waterfurnace.com

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=159&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Bob Eh?_2
    Bob Eh?_2 Member Posts: 42
    Options

I have been looking into water to water ground source heat pumps (Cold climate/Extended range required)and am wondering about the following:

Why do they all seem to be R22 when I believe that is supposed to be going away? (Do you think R407C or R410A will prevail?)

Why don't they seem to make smaller units (1.5 to 2 ton)?

Why don't they use modulating compressors (Copeland Ultra or "Digital")? What is the incremental cost to those upgrades?

Do you know of any reasonably priced horizontal ground loop sizing software?

Thanks........
  • Greg Swob
    Greg Swob Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Bob

First, I have to admit I have limited experience with GSHP, but I see the future blooming for these products. Now to answer your concerns- yes, R-22 is going away and yes, the manufacturers have come out with models equipped with R-410a as their refrigerant. ClimateMaster has the Tranquility model, with two stages, SEER rating of 27 +/- using R-410a, from 2-tons up to 5. Florida Heat Pump has a similar models, sizing, features, efficiencies, refrigerant, etc. Keep looking and you should find your product. It all starts with a proper sizing calculation, which I assume you've done and then you can look for equipment with the size and features your situation requires. Wish I could tell you more, we are just starting to experience GSHP again. The local utility promoted GSHP extensively some years ago in our area and the person left for another position within the firm. It is gaining wider acceptance in some circles and may be a more common source of heating and cooling. All it takes is some bozo to blow in a system that doesn't work and then the bad-mouthing begins. I feel with the advances in recent years with controls, circulators, etc. that the systems put in following proper methods can only pay dividends. Biggest obstacle is installed costs.

Wright Soft contains looping calculations, but is fairly costly if you don't use it often. My research seems to recommend wells (vertical loops) over horizontal as they seem to be more effective at heat transfers. Especially favorable if the lot does not afford space for horizontal loops. Greg
  • don_144
    don_144 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Check out

the DXG system.I hear they make claims of 40 to 70% on utility bills.

Dxg..Direct Exchange Geo.
  • Bob Eh?_2
    Bob Eh?_2 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Unfortunately.....

Those are all Water/Freon to Air systems :-(.... What I am looking for is Water to Water so we can do Radiant!

Bob
  • Eugene Silberstein 3
    Eugene Silberstein 3 Member Posts: 1,380
    Options
    R-22 Phaseout

The phaseout of R-22 began on January 1, 2004. As far as R-22 for use in new equipment is concerned, any new equipment that rolls of the production lines after January 1, 2010 cannot contain R-22. The logic follows that, as the production limits for HCFC refrigerants decrease, the cost of these refrigerants will increase. The total phaseout for R-22 is 2020.

Many manufacturers are already producing equipment that contains replacement refrigerants such as R-410a, but doing so is not required. (Although taking a proactive approach defintely seems to be the way to go)

• Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    Options
    ECONAR

gshp, water to water, econar.com
This discussion has been closed.