Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leak detection for AC

Thanks again. The tech that was out used a halogin detector and found a leak at the top compressor where the Strainer or dryer Im not sure what he called it. any way he said that they usually remove these after the system runs for a while. If left in it causes a restriction in the line. His fix is to pump the system down and replace the dryer with a copper tube and refill. I will post a picture of the thing he is talking about. It seamed strainge to remove a dryer but I might be mistaken.

Comments

• thfurnitureguy_4
    thfurnitureguy_4 Member Posts: 398
    Leak detection

Any good tricks for finding freon leaks? I have used leak detection "soap" on gas and air systems. Also where are the most common places to start looking? If I can find it I will call a tech in to pump it down and fix it. Why do you fill with nitrogen Is this to prevent freon escape into the atmosphear, or does it leave a visable trail near the leak? Just wondering I don't plan to do this step my self.
  • Jon_10
    Jon_10 Member Posts: 47
    Leak detection

There is only one that I trust completely. I have been
  • Jim S
    Jim S Member Posts: 82
    why not

let the tech do his job and find and fix the leak or leaks instead?

• thfurnitureguy_4

Hay watch the accusations. The system was filled once by a very good tech. We let it run to see if the compressor and the air handler would work. They did, and today he found the leak. If you read the previous posts (pesterings) You would know that the system had been not in use for 2 years. I can't believe that anybody would start looking for leaks before they tested the main parts of the system. I find it funny that you get so testy on a voluntary site that has no problem with over crowding. If you don't like the questions you don't have to answer. I know that I am not taking food out of the mouths of the local repair people because it takes 2-3 days for an appointment ( there aren't any sitting in line at the unemployment office). If the first 2 comapnies came out and did what the last guy did I would not have needed to pester further. It was just by chance that I tried this group. I had given up a year ago. They came recomended by a customer. I will further the recomendation. Now go gome drink a beer and kick your dog or cat, I have no more time for it. PS thanks for the Help
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    finding and fixing

nitrogen is used for checking leaks because it's a inert gas and it's pressure stays stable as temp increase so when you pressreize a system with nitrogen when it's hot and then cool s down the pressuer doesn't change.Also nitrogen doesn't harm the enviroment and it's cheaper then freon and it free of moisture .As for finding leaks you can use soap and bubbles or with the freon in the system use a halogen dector or a pump style freon dector interfrion makes a great unit i have one and it's quite well but the old stlye burner testers always find it and to really locate it use some telltale leak dector stuff .PS check all the schrader and king valves that where most small leaks come from but thats only my experence .Sorry about the speeling public school and cutting outta class all the time shows .Remenber to really check your discharge and liquid lines for signs of oil and your dischage king valve sometimes leaks on the highside only show while the system is running .Checking the evap for leaks is another whole lesson .good luck and peace clammy . PS i know most here are all here to help yelling or posting something negative is no good for any body . peace
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • soot_seeker_4
    soot_seeker_4 Member Posts: 22
    something to be learned..

i usually learn *something* from basically everybody's posts.

ss
  • thfurnitureguy_4

Clammy, thank you for a wonderful post, and a briliant run through on how to find a leak. I am just a customer But I have been a repair tech for 22 years. I do in-home service and take my job very seriously. I to, get many customers that try to armchair quarterback the problem. Some of their thoughts show there ignorance to the craft, But I figure they are trying to help and learn about a new thing they find interesting. Any system that you try to diagnose, requires much the same method of doing the right tests on the system, and asking the right questions of the customer. If you are a professional you have taken the lessons on how to do your job. Some are from school some from your co-workers and some just from doing it. I have had many people ask how to refinish a piece of furniture or do touch up. If I assumed that thay all were just cheepskates and trying to get a free ride I would not be as happy as I am. I take great time sharing my craft with people who want to learn it. Like HVAC once you learn what it takes to do a job and cost of the tools and educatuon, most people will pay you to do it. They come away with a better understanding of what they are paying for. Thank you again! T.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    uv dyes

Almost forgot richie line and i believe yellow jacket make inexpensive uv dies that work quite well inject the dye and let the system run then use there led uv light to find small leaks work quite well on very small leaks especally on dischage valves found a mircoscopic hair line crack on a 30 ton compressor king valve drove us crazy and there was no trace of oil either .That on top of the other info should help you locate that leak peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.