Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C install

Techman. I had a feeling the comp is going. I will check the suction line like you said. The comp is still under warrenty till 2010, I will let it fail & put a new one in. I will put a crank heater & a hard start kit on as well. Thank you for all the help its very much appreciated.
Mike

Comments

• A/C install

Mr Siberstein.
    I have a spit system, condenser is a Luxaire HBBAF030s
    About 2 years old. My fancoil unit failed, the supply house I use said they no longer sell Luxaire but would match a unit for me. Bad move on my part. The fancoil unit I got is a Heil fsm2x3000a 2 1/2 ton unit. They are both 10 seer R22. I installed the unit, did an evac at 30 for 6 hrs. I should say that I pumped the Freon into the compresser instead of reclaiming it. When done I opened the service valves, let it equal out. Started the unit & had a high pitched sound from the compresser, the low side went up to about 160 psig. Now when the condenser runs I still have the high pitch sound. The subcooling is at 12 degrees. I have a 19 degree diff at the fancoil. Also the fancoil has a TXV valve in it. I talked to the guy I got the fancoil from & he said OH I forgot to tell you. You were supposed to put a hardstart kit in the condenser.What can I do now to quiet the condenser down. Any help would be great. I went back to that supply house because I got a discount. I am on a tight buget. I have done HVAC for some time now. Thank you Mike
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Mike

Good Morning!What is the low side reading now?Did you turn off the power to the cond unit during the fan coil change out and the evacuation? Does the cond unit have a scroll or recip comp?Did I read that right,you pulled down to 30 microns?
  • A/C help

Mr Siberstein. Right now the low side is running at 61 psig Yes I did turn off the unit, the comp is a recip type.
    I did pull the vac down to 30 microns. Also the refridg lines have a 21 ft lift, total length is 30 feet.
  • Techman
    Mike

Hay Mike,did the hi pitched noise go away? And ,one more Q, is there a crank heater on the comp?And one more Q, how long after the comp was started did you have that hi suction press?And one more Q, what was the ambient temp when the system was started?

• Techman.
    Still have the noise, no crank heater. When I first started it the suction side shot right up, the ambient was 76 deg. Also today my son & I did some checking, the subcooling is at 12.4 I had 96 deg at LST & at the liquid line I had 83.4. At the fancoil I now have only 15 deg diff.
  • Techman
    Mike

I'm surprised that the comp survived to cool at all.I'm thinking there was refrigerant migration,by the decription you gave . And that crazy hi suction press,discharge valves had to be slugged open by the oil/refrig mixture at startup. After the comp has run for awhile ,shut the comp down and feel the suction line right at the comp inlet,if it gets warm then you have a bad comp.The noise ,I beleave you will have to live with it,for as long as the comp continues to live,that is!A crankcase heater is mandatory in my book!And with a TXV a hard start kit is also mandatory.Good Luck!
  • Techman
    Mike

I think replaceing the comp sooner would be better ,due to the possibility of creating acids in the system .

• Techman. I got home today & its not cooling as good as it was. I will replace it over the weekend. Thanks again. Mike
  • yourchizzler
    yourchizzler Member Posts: 10
    your q answered

I read all the notes on your problem, I am an expert on a/c. The main qeustion should have been asked was, why the air handler was replaced, ( freon leak, bad motor, electric problem), sounds to me the compressor, if you did pump it down, over pressurized and poped the internal relief valve for the compressor and it may be sticking open a little bit, this will cause a abtrusive noise from the compressor. sounds like you need a new one.
  • Techman
    yourchizzler

If as you say the internal relief valve popped open,that should have happened during the pumpdown and that hi pitched noise would have been heard then. And a pumpdown would not have been possible ,correct? And if the intrenal relief was leaking, then how could you get a 61psig suction press?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Regarding noise & internal relief

Just some observations, It does sound like maybe the internal relief did pop to me, then reseated mostly. Maybe the high pitch is from the relief bleeding through. If the charge was marginal, this would account for pretty close suction pressure w/ the bleed through causing suction to be falsely correct. Just MHO. Tim
  • yourchizzler
    yourchizzler Member Posts: 10
    techman

Do you really think you can pump down 30' of lineset and coil into a 2.5 ton lux/ sucksair unit? I have serviced and repaired these units for years,and have seen and heard leaking internal relief valves,and the unit seems to run somewhat okay. the r-valve is leaking just alittle bit enough to cause the noise described. this is why it ran fine before and now it's capacity has dropped with the new A/H, and now he's going to buy a new condenser. P.S. so techman where did the freon go, sounds like we lost alittle more ozone today.
  • Techman
    Mike

Did you have this noise when you pumped the system down? Be honest now!On a newly installed 10 seer system ,the factory freon charge is good for ,how many feet of copper tubing and the evap coil?My Luxair book says they come wit enough ref for 15' of lineset and coil.

• Techman. When I pumped it down I had no noise. Also did not loose any freon to the ozone. I had reclaimed any extra that I had. Mike
  • Techman
    Mike

Could you count the number of rows of copper tubing in the cond unit? And the length of each row? Thanks!
  • A/C

Techman. Sorry it took me some time to get back to you. The info you want is 13 rows & 7 foot long. Let me know what you’re up to. Thank you Mike
  • Techman
    Pumpdown

Hi Mike! Just figuring the pumpdown capacity of the cond unit.13x7 is 92' of cond coil tubing so I'm assuming 31' of liquid line should be able to be crammed into the cond unit.
This discussion has been closed.